London SE1 community website

Palazzo - cheesy cabaret application

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Thursday 13 March 2008 3.03pm
Dee Dee, I don't know what sort of places you've been going to, but Palazzo doesn't really look like the sort of place to attract what you have described.
Thursday 13 March 2008 3.09pm
It must be a right pain to have any late-night venue on your doorstep, but in parts of SE1 (which is increasingly part of central London) this sometimes happens.

I think this caberet looks very 'high-end' and so would welcome it to SE1. Hopefully the owners will be respectful of neighbours and there won't be so much of a yob element as you may get outside a traditional nightclub.
Thursday 13 March 2008 3.49pm
you will however respectable the place is get people talking loudly when they leave-many will come outside and use mobile phones and talk or to smoke. We all know people talk louder after a few drinks and noise from cabs cars etc. this maybe the minor things but if constantly disturbed by them 7 nights a week they are not small issues.
Thursday 13 March 2008 4.03pm
All of this is taken very seriously by the licensing committee who will oppose applications outright, or impose conditions.
Thursday 13 March 2008 4.16pm
yes they say things like you have to put signs up asking people to leave quietly

i think unless you have lived near somewhere with a late licence it is difficult to appreciate the problems that noise does cause-city noise cars passing etc you do get used to but the other types of noise re very difficult and constantly having sleep disturbed is a real issue for many people.
Thursday 13 March 2008 4.50pm
yes, that's possibly one of the things they ask for, but, in my experience, they will not approve a license for a noisy bar/club in a quiet residential street. It depends on the exact location and proportion of homes to, say, other licensed premises. They can insist on things like noise limiters for amplifiers and controls on air conditioning filters and extractors.
Of course, prevention is better than cure, but if they get a late license with conditions attached which they subsequently breach, the license is withdrawn immediately. That's one of the reasons for the "respect our neighbours, please leave quietly" notices.
Thursday 13 March 2008 5.14pm
yes Jaybee they can insist on those things but they are noises from the premises but most disturbance is caused by people leaving the premises for the night or to make calls etc.
Also they do not withdraw the licence immediately as you have to prove they are in breech. It can take months to get to the stage where the licence is revoked and they do not come up for periodic renewal anymore when you could object to the licence. I will say southwarks licencing team are good on complaints but to an extent their hands are tied.If objecting you would need to keep detailed diaries of disturbances etc for consideration and neighbours to do similar. All this time you would have to continue to live with the disturbance.
Thursday 13 March 2008 5.30pm
Like I said - prevention is better than cure.....
Thursday 13 March 2008 5.57pm
I would rather live next to a swanky cabaret bar than a church (Sunday morning selfish singing, bad parking, begging letters through the door, narrow eyed judgement at alternative lifestyles....) or a creche (screaming children, 4x4s on the pavement, etc...), or a Nando (speak to Jackie R about this one)

Isnt it a bit of a cliche that night clubs are full of bad drunken people vomiting on themselves and others. There is the massive night club XXL on Southwark Street that does not seem to destroy the area.

Often places apply for licences but never use them. They just need to do it or apply individually for every night they need an extension for.

Before the lap dancing place opened on Tooley Stree there were all sorts of apocalyptic predictions - dont believe that these have happened?
Monday 17 March 2008 9.59am
Hang on a second... this is a night club for hundreds in a tent. This is not some high class Savoy Grill type piano bar with dapper dans and flappers.

The real question is what does it offer to people who live in Southwark and there is only one answer to that question: nothing.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions