London SE1 community website

Palazzo - cheesy cabaret application

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Monday 17 March 2008 10.05am
Cobblers. It offers a night out in a tent, at the very least.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 17 March 2008 11.29am
I too would definitely welcome this type of venue and would expect it to do very well. Given the site is very central on a main road under a busy railway bridge I don't think objections based on noise disturbance are particularly valid.
Monday 17 March 2008 12.09pm
I live in Southwark and the idea of a place of entertainment for reasonably sober grown-ups within walking distance of home appeals. Of course, if it's all t*ts and pelvic thrusts, I wouldn't be keen to go - it would put me off my food.
Monday 17 March 2008 12.21pm
You could eat beforehand..

Monday 17 March 2008 12.22pm
it may be a nice idea to have such a place but would you want it next to where you live?
Monday 17 March 2008 12.27pm
easy access…
Monday 17 March 2008 12.50pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
You could eat beforehand..

As ever, the voice of reason.
Monday 17 March 2008 1.17pm
dee dee

I have no opinion on the actual application at hand, just to make that clear.

On the concept though - if you choose to live in a big city you have a lot of advantages such as close to shops, lots of culture, museums etc. Silence is not one of those advantages, and I think it is unrealistic to expect to have silence in central London. And yes, I consider SE1 to be central London.

So to answer you question, if someone opened a nightclub on my doorstep, I would potentially move, but I would not whine about it since it is a risk that I have choosen to take by living in a dynamic neighbourhood.
Monday 17 March 2008 1.19pm
I do try, Birdie.

And if the original poster had tried to make this more of a general thread rather than a NIMBY one, we may have had a more balanced discussion of it, imho.

Seriously, I expect I'd hate it having a club outside my window, but I don't think I would expect much sympathy if I'd chosen to live in a busy street in Zone 1 London.

Monday 17 March 2008 1.20pm
... which is fine if you have a choice about where you live.

Not everyone has that sort of economic mobility for all sorts of reasons.

And I don't think the original poster was expecting "silence".

Clearly there is a Balance to be struck, but expecting the planning and licensing systems to protect the interests of neighbours of such premises without some agitation on the part of residents is unrealistic. And the result of such agitation is usually compromise via the imposition of conditions rather than refusal.

(I am not offering an opinion on this particular application but it annoys me intensely when people say - and I paraphrase - "if you don't like it, just move")

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions