London SE1 community website

Palazzo - cheesy cabaret application

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Monday 17 March 2008 2.17pm
My personal opinion is not "if you don't like it, then move", but more like "before you move, you should perhaps consider that living in a place like SE1 often gives you very little control over who your neighbours are".

Living in a residential street will lessen the chance of disruption (or reduce it to noisy neighbours rather than noisy businesses), but a mixed-use street like Sthk St is inherently more risky from that point of view.

Personally I would have thought that (assuming it's a desirable thing to have more people wanting to live in mixed-use areas) there should be a general council policy on this, with some sort of planning zoning which laid down a marker in advance as to what was and wasn't likely to be appropriate in certain locations. I realise it's unrealistic to expect this to be set in stone, but it would seem reasonable to have, say, 5 or 10 year plans for particular areas. This would allow people to move in with some idea of what sort of planning applications were likely to be accepted in their neighbourhood in the medium term, rather than allow the character of an area to evolve in the current haphazard way of one planning application at a time.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 17 March 2008 4.20pm
It's hardly seems to be some kind of bangin' techno club. It looks more like a cabaret venue / speciality theatre - much in the vein of some of the things that are put on in the Menier Chocolate Factory, perhaps - and so entirely suitable for the area, I would have thought.

I speak as someone who lives metres from a nightclub (Ministry of Sound) and is a poor sleeper (earplugs are my friends) and people coming and going from there don't disturb me. Southwark Street is one of the major thoroughfares in SE1 and has spent too many years at night being eerily quiet and gloomy (and so more dangerous as far as I'm concerned), and I am so glad to see it is being gentrified and that people and businesses do want to move in. It's a good thing for the area and I have to say that it also seems to me that the original post smacks of nimbyism.
Monday 17 March 2008 11.32pm
just to clarify for all those who think those who live in central london get what they deserve, I live metres from the new site and the location couldn't (currently) be quieter: from my flat, I hear practically nothing of the outside world - in fact, its quieter than the small town in Scotland where I grew up. I chose to live there for that very reason.

In any case, won't they need planning permission, besides just a licence for use? What about Thameslink using that site for building the new railway bridge..I've lost track of what is planned for this site!
Wednesday 25 June 2008 7.39pm
This is being considered by the licensing sub-committee next Monday - here is the officers' report:
http://www.southwark.gov.uk/uploads/file_35990.pdf

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 27 June 2008 9.26am
James Hatts wrote:
This is being considered by the licensing sub-committee next Monday - here is the officers' report:
http://www.southwark.gov.uk/uploads/file_35990.pdf

Hot off the press - Licensing sub-committee is now cancelled as the applicant has withdrawn their application.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions