London SE1 community website

Guinness in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Monday 17 March 2008 6.53pm
Ah. That is good news for those who did not appreciate its former guise.
Tuesday 18 March 2008 10.01am
Sidney wrote:
All our Guinness is made in Dublin now. The Park Royal brewery has been closed down.
And did anyone notice the difference (without being told that there was a difference to notice)?

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 18 March 2008 2.05pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Sidney wrote:
All our Guinness is made in Dublin now. The Park Royal brewery has been closed down.
And did anyone notice the difference (without being told that there was a difference to notice)?

I dont drink the stuff myself so didnt notice any difference but I was rather surprised to see Guiness actually positively adverising the change in London. Surprisingly they didnt go with the slogan "Guiness: we've relocated jobs to a foreign country and increased the CO2 emmissions needed to distribute our product".
Sunday 23 March 2008 8.05pm
Good news and bad news

i've heard a rumour that all european guinness is "made in Dublin" because they now make a concentrate which is reconstituted closer to pointof sale

quite good news for the environment but I want the petrol fumes of St james Gate and the chimes of christchurch to permeate ever molecule of my perfect pint :)

PS
If they pour a half pint, let it rest and then top it up......they don't know how to pull a pint of guinness (or don't keep it at the correct pressure) as it should initially be filled to four fifths or six sevenths of the glass.

Sometimes they half fill if, due to incorrect pressure they are trying to stop it being over-foamy, opposite is when they leave it on the drainer rather than hold it to the tap, to try to knock some gas out in the descent - grotty either way.NEVER accept one of those - it'll be neither smooth nor creamy and the head won't last.

By the way, if staff don't know how to pour a Guinness, chances are they almost definitely don't know how to store it (its kept warmer than many other beers, hence the introduction of "cold flow" to ween people onto a "guinness" less troublesome for pubs and therefore more readily acceptable to publicans) and, one would wonder, realise that the pipes and taps need cleaning more often than other beers (very, very icky if they don't).

Oh and shamrocks on the top are considered as classy in ireland as royal family tea towels are here.

mmmmmmm the black stuff

.....thank you Arthur, the irishman's greatest english friend!
Monday 24 March 2008 2.08pm
i tried to get Guiness on paddy's day in Saigon, but the only two Irish pubs were ticket only, very expensive, and already booked out. I settled for a bottle of Saigon Red, and my impression of a Leprechaun. Not quite the same, but needs must.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions