London SE1 community website

E&C Shopping Centre

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Thursday 27 March 2008 1.50pm
Could someone post the link to the article. I can't seem to find it.
Thursday 27 March 2008 1.54pm
I also love Perronet House - that is one stunning piece of architecture and I am very pleased to have a full-on view of it. Pah! WJFox, you've got to learn to love brutalist structures. It is cheeky to try and get it listed now, mind. I declare that I am not part of those anonymous people trying to get it listed - why are they so shy, eh?
Thursday 27 March 2008 1.58pm
Sean

There is no article yet on the site. The ref is in the pop-up that appears when you first enter the site...
Thursday 27 March 2008 2.11pm
Anyone can apply to English Heritage to get a building listed, at any time.

The story should read "person writes letter to English Heritage".

It really is a non-story!

I would think that English Heritage in the past will have considered, and declined, to list it because it has always been under threat. So it is unlikely to be successful.
Thursday 27 March 2008 2.57pm
Phew!
Thursday 27 March 2008 3.58pm
Although the Shopping Centre was the first of its kind in this country, its architecture and construction aren't exactly noteworthy and it's been butchered in many ways since it was built.
Thursday 27 March 2008 7.35pm
I would lay money on this being a spoiler tactic by tenants unknown, who rightly believe that despite all the promises they have been given that there will be no place for them in the swanky redevelopment. Lots of room for Starbucks , McDonalds. Gap, Accessorize, Zara, River Island etc, etc, etc, etc, Basically, your classic boil in the bag British shopping centre fare, but none for people who sell things many local people actually want to buy and that they can buy now in the much maligned existing building. Chances of a hardware store in the redevelopment? Reckon on that as being zero. You will be able to buy a new frock or a handbag, but I suspect you will struggle to find a loo brush or a light bulb. You'll also struggle to find any food outside that sold in the single supermarket. You'll struggle to find anywhere that will heel your shoes and anywhere selling basic bits and bobs cheaply.
Thursday 27 March 2008 9.47pm
There were a few people around willing to make a case for the Shopping Centre.

Thread from two years ago:
"Joy and Beauty" at the Elephant

Lang Rabbie 29 March 2006 wrote:
Elephant groupies might be interested in this architecture student's study of the Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre - published on his own website - that reads like a love letter to the current building - one section is actually headed "the Joy and Beauty". :eek:
It does also contain some fascinating and (mostly accurate) building history.

Unfortunately, he seems to have failed to realise that the current painted cladding wasn't actually part of the original 1960s design, but [according to my copy of Pevsner and Cherry Buildings of England - London South, anyway ;) ] the centre was reclad in 1978 to designs by the Percy Thomas Partnership.

My understanding was that it was at this time that the whole top floor of shopping (now the bowling/bingo) became the vast DHSS staff canteen. The current leisure use is a strange fulfilment of my prophecy from the one time I had lunch there with a former DHSS staffer in 1990 and I said that it looked like Butlins!)

Unfortunately the link no longer appears to work
Friday 28 March 2008 12.35am
I remember when the E&C first opened when I was about 6. My nan and my mum liked it because you could do your shopping and not get rained on. I liked it as a teenager because my friends and I could hang around on the first floor and talk to boys!
It has been buggered about with over the years, and recent paint jobs have done it no favours, but I still have a soft spot for it. Where else are plebs like me going to go to get cheap stuff?
Friday 28 March 2008 8.01am
I've rather held backon this thread this week since am due to speak to the horse's mouth next week and dont want to pre=empt. However, I DO agree that the Shopping Centre is a fabulous place - I tell all my sniffy friends that anything you REALLY NEED is to be found there (and if you want an absolutely smashing frock you can go to Sensational on the second floor if you cant find what you want in Peacocks). And from my point of view being able to get there via the underpasses (ie not even having to go outside in this miserable weather) is an additional plus. There is quite a lot of dross in the centre, but the fact that you've got Tesco, Iceland, Pricebusters, Woolies, Boots, Clarks, photograph processing, the book shop and WHSmith, Peacocks etc., all cheek by jowl is terrific. The new market place SHOULD provide place for the smaller traders, but we all know how commercial considerations can price out these busnesses.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions