London SE1 community website

E&C Shopping Centre

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Friday 28 March 2008 9.22am
Auntie Pat wrote:
I still have a soft spot for it. Where else are plebs like me going to go to get cheap stuff?

Errr, Walworth Road? A ten minute walk or five minute bus ride away and, if anything, even more variety.

I agree, though, that the E&C is a good functional shopping centre. If I have to go out for various essential odds and ends I can pretty much guarantee that I will find them all under one roof at the E&C. The upper floor is very under-used, though.
Friday 28 March 2008 9.44am
jackie listed off the chain stores which while often useful aren't always desirable.

i ditto ruth's advice about the walworth road which is chock full of independant retailers

sadly the rents seem to have gone up as even Kennedy's the butchers has been forced to close after 100+ years or something. Holland & Barrat are the first chain store to open on the street for a long while, but I'll stick with Baldwin's
Friday 28 March 2008 9.59am
Takes the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government to list anything. Whilst English Heritage are a statutory consultee and hold much sway in the Department, is the Sec of State really going to jeapordise the whole shooting match at Elephant - I doubt it. I might add that the predictable outrage on the front page of the Daily Mail etc would not make it worth it!

I do like the nuclear bomb suggestion of an earlier email - though I fear for the radioactive fall out..........?
PJ
Friday 28 March 2008 12.30pm
Sorry the Shopping centre whilst having some useful shops in a really depressing place to shop in and has been since I started using it back in the late 80's.
Friday 28 March 2008 3.17pm
I also have a sneaking regard for the shopping centre. As with lots of 60's buildings one of the main reasons its not very nice is because its had NO money spent on it for decades! I think with a refrub it could be rather 60's chic inside!
Friday 28 March 2008 3.31pm
personally I have a soft spot for the shopping centre. It must be the only shopping centre in the UK which has Spanish as almost its first language.. also has some useful shops, eg the homeware store or the plant stall.
Friday 28 March 2008 3.43pm
The plant stall has gone, ages ago. I used to love it as well!
Friday 28 March 2008 4.13pm
Yes indeed, the plant stall was super. The little jewellery shop is useful too. The main thing is it's all in one place, and one can shop quickly. And Jonathon I didnt just list the chain stores...the second hand book store and Sensational are both great.
Saturday 29 March 2008 12.15am
Walworth Road is ok but it's a long road and you tend to get very wet in the rain - I can't hold an umbrella as I have to use a walking stick. I'd rather do my shopping in the dry. At least the E&C still has a Woolworths and a WHSmith. It's been there since I was 6 and I will miss it if it goes.
Monday 31 March 2008 9.11pm
IMHO Hannibal House (atop the Shopping Centre)is not a "hideous tower" (certainly better proportioned than the proposed replacements) and it is certainly not redundant, many businesses are currently using it. I have many fond memories of the years I spent working there - the views from the upper floors are fantastic.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions