London SE1 community website

Blackbirds

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Monday 28 April 2008 5.20pm
Over here in Southwark park road to name just the unusual things - greater spotted woodpecker, willow warber/chiff chaff (dont know how to tell the difference), parakeet, heron

There was also a white stork spotted over bermondsey according to one website on birds in london (it specifically mentions bermondsey)
Monday 28 April 2008 5.54pm
If you want to see lots of white storks (some black storks can be seen, too), visit Eastern Poland. Just sayin' ;-)
Tuesday 29 April 2008 12.02pm
Did anyone see the pheasant - yes PHEASANT! - walking on the grass outside the estate on Borough High Street, corner of Lant Street? It looked in fine fettle - Sunday afternoon.
Tuesday 29 April 2008 12.40pm
Are you absolutely certain it wasn't hanging in Borough Market?

(Notwithstanding the fact that it would have been there three months...)
Tuesday 29 April 2008 6.40pm
A few years ago there was a large pheasant stomping around Leathermarket Gardens. It was stunning. They look very different alive, unless this was a pedigree.
Wednesday 30 April 2008 11.36am
Has anyone seen any sparrows?
Wednesday 30 April 2008 11.41am
We have sparrows in our garden (Alma Grove) and some very tame Blackbirds.
Thursday 1 May 2008 11.41am
We had a variety of birds in our garden, then 3 cats moved in, and as much i love cats, they do what comes naturally very efficiently which is to kill the birds. Has anyone bought that cat deterrent plant at all?
Monday 20 October 2008 10.37pm
We've got Sparrows. They like sunflower seeds.

Unfortunately there seem to be about 30 cats on our block and we have lost quite a few young Sparrows and Blue Tits to them this year.
Please if you have a cat, put two bells on it's collar. They can learn to stalk a bird without jingling one bell but two stumps hem.

The cat deterrent plants don't work. I have three.
Neither do the sonic devices, the smelly stuff or putting up trellis to try and stop them climbing over. They just break it.
Monday 20 October 2008 11.39pm
You have sparrows?!? I haven't seen/heard one for years! I do miss the little blighters.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions