London SE1 community website

Interesting venues?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Thursday 6 November 2003 11.21pm
For unusual venues - what about the Clink prison?

Belfast is fine but if you want food you have to use their catering, which works out expensive. Clink is run by local people who might well do a deal. As for eestaurant type places - Bankside Restaurant are nice people who do hold exhibitions & things there.

Pubs with wheelchair access to function rooms are more difficult. Lord Clyde off Marshalsea Rd has small function room at back on ground floor - very helpful family run pub, but it's not very big.
jan
Friday 7 November 2003 5.39am
Thank you Hilary-I'll check that one out, my husbands in a wheelchair so we are limited in choice of venues. My daughter has booked the room above the Miller of Mansfield in Snowsfields apparently they provide food (?), but to get someone completely immobile upstairs is impossible.
By the sound of it I will have to have two birthday parties, two different occasions..oh how one has to suffer :-)
Friday 7 November 2003 6.55am
Don't forget the Waterloo Action Centre, the old library building on the corner of Lower Marsh and (more or less) Westminster Bridge Road. Downstairs has a couple of big rooms that are hired out. A bit scruffy but seem popular. They also have a nice room upstairs and newly installed wheelchair access.

Its meant to be a community facility so should be cheap, and there does not seem to be a problem with music.
Monday 10 November 2003 7.07pm
The Clink is great.
A friend of mine ran a party there about a month ago and the venue is perfect for that sort of thing. Not sure about access though - I seem to remember a lot of stairs...
Monday 10 November 2003 9.02pm
How about the function rooms on top of Guys Hospital (The Rubens Suite)? - I know they've had a few music launches up there. Great views on a clear night over town, obviously you have to share the lifts with people who've had bits of their bodies ripped off in terrible car accidents that night, but hey.... Of course that's just a bad taste joke - the A&E department is separate.
Monday 10 November 2003 9.04pm
Guy's only has a minor injuries unit these days anyway :-)
Tuesday 11 November 2003 8.30am
Jan,

Some further thoughts. The Union Jack Club, next to the 3i building on Westminster Bridge Road, has a large function room which is quite smart. Given many of their members (they seem to operate a hotel type facility) appear elderly, I assume it has disabled access.

Then, and probably cheaper, there is a church hall type place around the back of the Old Vic which is in some way connected with St John's Waterloo. You could start with the church warden.

Also the Kings College building on Stamford Street seems to rent out a number of rooms in the evenings.

The ADI on Lambeth Road have a number of large but scruffy rooms which are let regularly for functions. They have a 3.00am license. (Hmmm - I live opposite.)

The Baptist church on Kennington Road by Lambeth North has a basement hall (Hawkstone Hall) which is inexpensive to hire but without disabled access, and no alcohol.

China Walk Tenants Association have a new and nice hall with kitchen on Lambeth Walk. Cheap too. Recommended if you are able to go that far.

Or if you want exotic, there is a room for hire at Vauxhall City Farm..... Or the Buddhists on Carlisle Lane have a hall, though I saw on the TV recently that they are about to be evicted. Pity - nice people. The new and expensive Living Space building at the end of Millennium Green, the green space opposite the Old Vic, might also be an option. It is supposed to be a community facility and may well be available for private hire. Its run by Blackfriars Settlement.

I think I have retired from going to community meetings. Too drafty.
Tuesday 6 January 2004 10.34pm
The Southwark Rooms are fantastic.

Had 40th birthday party there in October. About 130 people turned up. The whole evening was brilliant. Everyone had a great time right on until 2.30am. Staff were amazingly friendly, which made the whole evening so great. Costs were the lowest in the area and the manager was eager to involve me in the planning from the outset. They couldn't have done anything more to help!

Right up until Christmas people were still telling me that it was the best party they had ever been to. Only problem is that they now want me to have one every year.

Well, I know exactly where the next one will be.

Try it, you won't be disappointed.
Saturday 10 January 2004 5.59pm
I was at the Southwark Rooms for New Years Eve. Very Impressed.
K
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions