London SE1 community website

What is the best value gym?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
HAQ
Saturday 17 May 2008 11.15am
Bankside Health Centre on Southwark Street. I was a member of 37 degrees for a year, this is one is much better and cheaper. Great trainers and very friendly staff! Not sure about the coffee, I don't usually drink coffee at the gym!
Saturday 17 May 2008 12.06pm
maurits wrote:
I think one should judge the gym by its core activity, which is exercise and not coffee.
Judge every business by its coffee.
Saturday 17 May 2008 2.00pm
well if Starbucks was judged on its coffee...
Zoe
Saturday 17 May 2008 2.54pm
People won't go to the gym if they don't enjoy it, if drinking nice coffe is part of that, that's OK, as long as it encourages them to do exercise. Stop being such exercise snobs!
Saturday 17 May 2008 5.13pm
The main issue is that coffee isn't a good idea either prior to, or following a gym workout.

If you are less than fit the elevating effect upon your heart rate could be dangerous and post workout your body is looking to be re-hydrated, the opposite effect of coffee.
Wednesday 21 May 2008 12.52pm
poor you! I have never tasted the coffee in any of the gyms I went to, water is what you should drink. In saying that I am not sure who goes to a gym to drink coffee.....
Wednesday 21 May 2008 3.45pm
My sympathies to Sally, I left my gym 'coz the music was too loud.
Gym is a very personal thing, and it has to be 'right'.
Monday 26 May 2008 2.46pm
I go to the Allwell Centre just off Bermondsey Street. I've been doing the strength and conditioning classes for the past seven months and have noticed an amazing difference not just in body tone but in overall health and vitality - I can really recommend it.

Glenn, who runs the centre, sure knows his stuff and will coach you in nutrition as well as exercise. We do small group classes as you get lots of motivation from everyone else - they're a great bunch - and he'll do one-to-ones too - he wants you to succeed (unlike a lot of gyms which work on the principle that their members pay but don't go). If you fancy coming down for a try-out - the first session's free. It's like personal training but with the motivation and sociability of a club.

I started by joining the Friday evening classes at Tanner Street park - 10 - again come and join us for a free try-out - everyone's welcome. Glenn also teaches tai chi and chi gung - check out his website for loads of info http://www.allwellcentre.com.

I agree, Sally, about the presentation - the studio is new and a lovely space to work in - and the water is exceptional.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions