London SE1 community website

Empire Square - Commercial Space

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7
Monday 2 June 2008 12.04pm
Bel Ludovic wrote:
It will either be a Strada, a Carluccio's, a Leon, a Giraffe, a Wagamama , a Nando's or an EAT...
OK, so that's just conjecture. But leasings in new developments are that predictable, I've found.

Predictable and depressing as everywhere becomes recognizable only by being identical to everywhere else. Planning seems so short-sighted these days, in my humble opinion. Fingers crossed that Empire Square will be the exception and surprise us with something different.
Monday 2 June 2008 3.22pm
Bel Ludovic wrote:
It will either be a Strada, a Carluccio's, a Leon, a Giraffe, a Wagamama , a Nando's or an EAT...
OK, so that's just conjecture. But leasings in new developments are that predictable, I've found.

Hmmm, Im not sure if I agree. Its been empty for some time now, I would have thought most of those brands would be in by now if they actually liked the space. Having had a poke around in there, I think its a difficult building to make into a restaurant.

I think they're struggling to fill it.

I noticed at the weekend that CBRE have taken down much of the coverings on the other shop space (adjacent to Tesco)... does anyone know for certain what is going in?

They are have not rented any of it easily... the blue fin building gaps went like hot cakes by comparison.
Monday 2 June 2008 3.25pm
I asked one of the builders today...a friendly Polish chap who said " dont know...think shopping or maybe restaurant"... not much help there then
Tuesday 3 June 2008 12.18am
Not sure how a restaurant in the centre of Empire Square is going to work, bearing in mind that the gates have to be closed by 10pm each night......
Tuesday 3 June 2008 3.06pm
I'm wondering if an office - maybe for use by Marlin, who run the serviced apartments at Empire Square - could be the answer.
Tuesday 3 June 2008 4.19pm
Do Marlin not currently have an office in the inner bit of the square?
Tuesday 3 June 2008 7.37pm
Yes marlin's office is already in empire square. i think the site is too big for an office anyway. a car showroom maybe?? as for the armadillo, gordon [email protected] square has a nice ring to it!!
Wednesday 4 June 2008 8.18am
[url=http://planningonline.southwarksites.com/planningonline2/DocsOnline/Documents/20335_1.pdf]This letter from CBRE[/url] re. the change of use application for the Pavilion mentions that the Ellipse unit was under offer as of 30 April.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 4 June 2008 11.58am
sorry James but does that mean someone has bought it???
Wednesday 4 June 2008 12.11pm
James - that letter is interesting and sums up all of the issues perfectly.

To any local resident its been perfectly clear that building was a very ill conceived idea. I understood that the Conran group were approached to open a new restaurant there, but believed the building was not workable.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 2 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions