London SE1 community website

Empire Square - Commercial Space

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7
Wednesday 17 December 2008 9.42pm
well its hardly in keeping with the rest of the development and as a leaseholder i would expect to be consulted on such a a move...no consultation has taken place. i am sure Guys must be rolling in dosh if thay can afford to rent such a premises especially since they already seenm to own half of borough high street
Wednesday 17 December 2008 9.47pm
Consultation letters have been sent.
Wednesday 17 December 2008 11.36pm
well i dont know anyone that has received a consultation letter - and i certainly dont want a division of Guys Hospital in the building
Thursday 18 December 2008 9.06am
Bit confused....what's the difference between offices, a supermarket, a gym or a renal centre...all of which are there or could be there. obviously if Waitrose was a real proposition I would understand objecting to everything else but.......
Thursday 18 December 2008 10.53am
the difference?? it will impact adversley on property values and nooone has yet been asked their views. i am willing to go with the consensus i would just like to be asked
Jac
Thursday 18 December 2008 11.50am
i dont see why it would impact on property values. However i think i would prefer to see shop/restaurants there to bring more life to the devlopment and long lanes at weekends and evening too. But thats not likely in the current economic climate so it would mean the units being empty for longer.
Thursday 18 December 2008 12.54pm
well it wont do anything to help property values. i just dont understand how a hospital which seems to own half of borough needs to rent a prime site such as this. on a related matter how long are those guys hospital buildings in borough high street up near Tas going to be covered in scaffolding??
Thursday 18 December 2008 2.38pm
these are people having dialysis not a colony of lepers moving in I still fail to see why they would affect your proprerty price.
Thursday 18 December 2008 2.42pm
Also speaking as a resident on Empire Square I can't see how a kidney treatment unit will affect property values and have no problem with one occupying a couple of units. If it going to be was a drug rehab centre then I would be raising an eyebrow, I wouldn't want the social probs associated with living adjacent to one of them.

In terms of consultation I haven't received anything about a proposal for a kidney unit in particular but I think I had a letter a while ago saying there was intention to change the use of space from A1 to A2 or A3 or whatever. It may be that beyond change of use residents have very little say over who occupies the space.

I'm guessing that if the kidney unit did move in it the entrance and frontage would be on Long Lane, simply so people are able to find it. It wouldn't surprise me if the side overlooking the square would have the glass frosted over and the doors used as a fire exit. I'm not sure, but I suspect that all you'll see of the unit at all are some office/reception type rooms, not people having their dialysis done in full view. I can't see it being any more intrusive than an ordinary commercial office.

I can't see this unit affecting house prices for two reasons. Firstly a lot of Belsize Park and Hampstead have many buildings related to the Royal Free, Chelsea isn't any worse off for having the Marsden and the Royal Hospital.

Secondly, at the moment the other nearby shops on Long Lane are a Launderette, a rarely open chippy and a kebab shop. There is also some light industry. I can't see how a kidney unit can be to the detriment of the area, put in that context.

Sure, the interior square itself is very pleasant but I doubt a kidney unit will be any more visually intrusive than the Marlin Apartments office. I suspect it'd be less visually offensive than the gym that overlooks the square. I'd love the gym to frost the glass of their frontage so I don't have to see sweaty people puffing away in a garishly lit cheap breeze block interior. Hey ho, sometimes there's some sexy people exercising there and that kinda makes up for it.

I think it makes perfect sense to have a kidney unit in that space, it's handy for the other departments in Guys dotted around the area and judging by the amount of alcohol that gets carried out of Tesco at Empire Square it probably won't be too long before local residents are grateful there's a kidney unit on the doorstep.
Thursday 18 December 2008 4.00pm
I would have thought a restaurant or bar would be more value detrimental than an anonymous clinic which doesn't disturb anyone with cooking smells and noise from a bar late into the evening.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions