London SE1 community website

Tenants & Residents Association

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 28 May 2008 10.49am
Hi there, does anyone have any experience of how to go about setting up a TRA? Heard a rumour that Southwark Council coughs up money towards the set up of a TRA. Any advice/useful websites/local contacts gratefully received. Thanks.
Wednesday 28 May 2008 12.58pm
Hi Juanita

Good luck with this, it's worth doing.

I suggest that you try the relevant Housing Resident Involvement Officer in Southwark. My experience (Walworth) is that they are extremely positive and helpful.

As per their website, the Tenants and Residents Associations (T&RAs) across the Borough are entitled to:
- Receive funding from the council
- Be represented at their local area housing forum
- Be consulted on matters affecting the local community.
details here:

Depending where you are, the officers are as follows:

Bermondsey - Jo Wilson
Borough & Bankside - Yetunde Ayanwale
Nunhead & Peckham Rye - Celine Arnold
Peckham - Joanne Jackson
Rotherhithe - Chucks Amaechi
Walworth Area (East & West) - Brian O'Neil

contacts here:
Wednesday 28 May 2008 1.07pm
Sorry, my list was out of date - they are currently:

Bermondsey: Jo Wilson
Borough and Bankside: Yetunde Ayanwale
Camberwell: Russell Prett
Dulwich: Anne-Marie Curry
Nunhead and Peckham Rye: Celine Arnold
Peckham: Joanne Jackson
Rotherhithe: Laura Sullivan
Walworth: Brian O'Neill
For general enquiries: Ross Lambert, Social Inclusion

Interim Social Policy and Resident Involvement Team Manager: Judith Hendley
Wednesday 28 May 2008 7.09pm
I think this support may only be for Council owned properties which is a shame for residents in privately built developments, many of whom share the same problems and experiences.

I tried to get support from Joanne Jackson in Peckham but she has not been much help at all.....i guess that they may have to spread themselves quite thinly in these days of council cutbacks...

If anyone does know any good sources of funding or has any other advice then I would love to hear from you! I set up an RA in Peckham last year but with no guaranteed funding (unlike a TRA) it can be tough! [email protected]
Thursday 29 May 2008 7.32pm
tenants and residents associations exist where southwark council are the freeholder of the properties.
most tras have a tenants hall and meetings are usually monthly.
the council pays a per capita contribution per tenant and leaseholder (about 4.80 pa each.)
the tooley street tenants and residents association is meeting as i speak, in gainsford street. the more scenic residents have their own association in shad thames.

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions