London SE1 community website

What is the Long Lane area like?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Thursday 29 May 2008 2.29pm
I like the two new buildings either side of the Spa gardens (the Artesian Building and Amisha Court). The Artesian building looks average from the road, but great from the park, and Amisha Court's metal cladding is pretty 'cool' and it sits well alongside the other buildings on Spa Road.

I also think Bermondsey Square is quite impressive, although reserve final judgement until I can wander round inside it...

Chris
Thursday 29 May 2008 3.21pm
That wooden cladding will look disastrous within five years. Look at the cladding on the front of Futurahouse (opposite the entrance to the Alaska).
PKM
Thursday 29 May 2008 3.58pm
Long Lane is not exactly pretty and can feel a little desolate at times but it is a stones through from some exciting and interesting places - Bermondsey St/Sq; Borough Market,the river. And I love the conveniences of TBR!

I had a look around the Bermondsey St development and it looked really good to me - its built to a higher standard than most local developments and a lot of thought seems to have gone into the interior design - feels like a trendy hotel rather than university halls. Inside the square looked good too on a sunny day - I'm looking forward to it opening. I don't think all the cladding is in fact wood (just looks like wood). I just hope the Sainsbury's lives up to expectations and is not just another bottle shop.
Thursday 29 May 2008 4.02pm
Long Lane is a bit bleak, but incredibly convenient. I'm sure you won't notice your surroundings once you spruce up the inside of your new flat - that's what I've found with my place. As far as I know, it's not particularly dangerous...
Friday 30 May 2008 9.55am
franksterling, you have landed in the nicest possible area. The really lovely thing about SE1 is that "community" isnt just a word. We have to thank our webmaster James Hatts for this website which has brought us, in all our diversity, together. we are the envy of other areas who only WISH they could have such a fabulous, friendly, supportive network. We are all backgrounds, ages, professions, and nationalities, and even if we didnt live in such a vibrant, convenient, central location we'd be way ahead. But our position so close to the centre, with such excellent transport links is just the icing on the cake.
Friday 30 May 2008 11.49am
Hello,

As a council tenant on the 'estate' I take offence to the tone of this post, it seems to me that there is an underlying suggestion that the privately owned properties/tenants are just having to suffer the lot from the estates.
I am sure that all the different properties are full of good and bad people.
As a young woman, I have never felt threatened or unsafe in this area.
Why didn't you do your research before you signed? there are plenty of places you can live where your eyes don't have to be shocked by the estates.
Friday 30 May 2008 11.53am
I certainly agree that the implicit assumption that estates are full of sketchy people and private properties are full of civilised ones is offensive (and obviously incorrect). However, I don't think there was any intent to cause offence. The impetus for the original post was someone suddenly getting cold feet about signing up to live somewhere.
Friday 30 May 2008 12.01pm
I have to say that I was also uncomfortable with the underlying suggestion (intentional or otherwise) and am pleased that it has been picked up in a reasonable, non-confrontational way - thanks edithlh.

As far as I am concerned everyone who lives or works locally is welcome on this forum, regardless of housing arrangements - and I would ask people to be careful about casual remarks that could fuel any sense of social segregation.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Jac
Friday 30 May 2008 12.43pm
James Hatts wrote:
I have to say that I was also uncomfortable with the underlying suggestion (intentional or otherwise) and am pleased that it has been picked up in a reasonable, non-confrontational way - thanks edithlh.
As far as I am concerned everyone who lives or works locally is welcome on this forum, regardless of housing arrangements - and I would ask people to be careful about casual remarks that could fuel any sense of social segregation.

I am sure sure that no offense was meant by the posts, some council estates in London are a pleasure to live in or along side others are not - Fact.

I've lived on long lane for 13 years and seen many changes. From the moment I moved in I loved it and still do, it's a great place to live. The mini jacs have grown up here and from our experience atleast there has never been any them and us (I don't live on an estate) and thats is a big reason why I am happy here.

What I do find shocking is someone can sign a contract on a flat with out checking the area first, it seems a stange thing to do when purchasing a place you wish to live then again it possible thats not the case and its just an investment. If it is to be their home I would strongly suggest that you do "notice your surroundings once you spruce up the inside of your new flat" and get out and enjoy living along side both the older "estate" and newbie "private" residents and become part of the great community that you have stumbled upon it would seem more by luck than judgement.
Friday 30 May 2008 12.46pm
edithlh wrote:
Why didn't you do your research before you signed?

Quite - and exactly my initial reaction on reading the original post.

I live on Long Lane myself and frequently walk along it and through various side roads and estates, without any problems to date. However, as one of those living in what franksterling refers to as 'posh' flats [i.e not on a local authority 'estate'] I too felt the underlying suggestion was a very unfair assumption...I'm not in the least bit posh.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions