London SE1 community website

Flake £3.50?!?!?!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Monday 10 August 2009 9.05pm
Tooley Street is Riverside ward.

I've noticed that ice cream van too and had to step into the road to get past.

Maybe someone from Team London Bridge is reading this? They may be able to help.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 11 August 2009 10.30am
These van's are trading illegally and personally I wont frequent them... the fact that they think 3.50 is a fair price for an ice creams seals the deal.
Tuesday 11 August 2009 11.09am
Hi Zoe

I will raise it with relevant officers and ask for additional enforcement action, but I suspect that - like the Bankside vans near the Globe - they just view the daily fine as a small expense compared to their huge takings.

Tim

Cllr Tim McNally
LibDem Member for Chaucer Ward
Executive Member for Resources
07903 967 809
Tuesday 11 August 2009 11.48am
Hi Tim

I believe Tooley Street (ie the A200), unlike the smaller roads near the Globe is a Red Route and the responsibility of TfL to enforce rather than the council.

Therefore TfL rules on loading/unloading would apply to this lay-by - http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/finesandregulations/949.aspx

The sign (http://tinyurl.com/tooleystreet) states that waiting time is restricted to 20 minutes. However I believe you actually have to be unloading.

Is there someone in TfL we can put pressure on to enforce the restrictions here?

Regards
Colm
Tuesday 11 August 2009 3.55pm
James - Shane Clarke from Team London Bridge (and an avid reader of the forum). I'm very well aware of the issue with the ice-cream vendor on Tooley Street. I continually press both Southwark Council and Southwark Police to take enforcment action as appropriate. I will continue to gather evidence and liaise with the apropriate authorities.

Cllr McNally - I will forward details of communication to date.

Regards, Shane
Friday 14 August 2009 6.44pm
Hey can either of you chaps do anything about the ice cream / burger vans that habitually park on the southbound lane of Westminster Bridge, blocking the cycling path and causing me and others into the path of oncoming buses? Thanks
Zoe
Friday 14 August 2009 7.23pm
I think that might be Lambeth
Sunday 16 August 2009 12.21pm
Shane Clarke wrote:
James - Shane Clarke from Team London Bridge (and an avid reader of the forum). I'm very well aware of the issue with the ice-cream vendor on Tooley Street. I continually press both Southwark Council and Southwark Police to take enforcment action as appropriate. I will continue to gather evidence and liaise with the apropriate authorities.

Regards, Shane

Southwark Council, Lambeth Council, Met Police, City Police, none of them will do a thing about this, you may as well bite the bullet and get used to it.
My sister's ex had an ice cream van pitch at the Tower of London more than 15 years back and boasted of taking in excess of 1000 pounds most days.
Some days he would get two parking tickets, 30 pounds a time then, he considered them as a licence to trade.
The last time she spoke to him he was driving an upmarket car picking up punters from Whisky Mist and Movida and charging what he liked to take them home, and he doesn't even have a drivers licence!
The authorities didn't care then, and they don't care now.

london
Sunday 16 August 2009 12.53pm
Debrajoan wrote:
Shane Clarke wrote:

Regards, Shane

Southwark Council, Lambeth Council, Met Police, City Police, none of them will do a thing about this, you may as well bite the bullet and get used to it.
The authorities didn't care then, and they don't care now.
Touched a nerve this I have to say.
When the last of my three children followed his siblings and left this country for ever, (or so he said), one of the reasons he gave me was, "Dad, how do you know which laws to obey in this country? The police seem to pick and choose the ones they feel like enforcing."
Monday 17 August 2009 9.34am
This is fundamentally a matter for the local council as it is they who determine where people can street trade and where they cannot.

They are moved on quite frequently in the City but that's mainly by the Police... I have seen them being dealt with on the South Bank as well, bit of thankless task however as they make so much money a small fine for illegal parking is basically a cost of doing business.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions