London SE1 community website

Flake £3.50?!?!?!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Wednesday 2 September 2009 10.45am
Hi Zoe

Just to show that we can get action on this...

The Council has stepped up the enforcement and six ice cream vans were confiscated at the weekend by the Council including two at Tooley Street and taken back to Chaplin.

I was sent a photo of them by an officer who'd arrived at work and said:

"We had a busy weekend tackling illegal street trading up in bankside after lots of complaints about ice cream vans and I arrived at work to see the attached sight!

Lots of prosecuting coming up in the next couple of months."

Tim

Cllr Tim McNally
Executive Member for Resources
LibDem Member for Chaucer Ward
Wednesday 2 September 2009 5.12pm
Hurrah! Thanks, Tim! Realistically, towing is the only thing that will discourage the vendors. Or ticketing them every 10 minutes.
Zoe
Wednesday 2 September 2009 6.35pm
I'm really pleased as well, thanks so much Tim. I hope they continue to tow them when they park irresponsibly, though that's a lot of wasted ice cream.

Could you work wonders and also sort out the illegal lorry parking on the cycle route along the south bank?

The large building site opposite the statue that moves (outside the 'JOY' shop that sells odd stuff and today has a Ford Ka in the window) seems to cause a lot of this.
Thursday 3 September 2009 6.35am
For those with an interest in the technical aspects, the ice cream vans' owners are now being prosecuted under Section 38 of the London Local Authorities Act 1990 (as amended).

Confiscating the vans seems to be the most effective approach as ticketing just encourages them to drive around the corner and carry on trading.

On the lorry parking on the cycle route I will also ask officers to do some enforcement. If you're passing and can take a photo Zoe then please MMS or email it to me, thanks. With the Thames Path closing at Blackfriars it's more important than ever to have the Bankside cycle path clear and safe.

Tim

Cllr Tim McNally
Executive Member for Resources
LibDem Member for Chaucer Ward
Saturday 5 September 2009 6.46pm
Ice cream van back on Tooley Street yesterday.
Sunday 6 September 2009 8.35am
... and at Bankside. I suspect this is an endless game of cat and mouse.
Thursday 10 September 2009 12.01am
HooRah Tim!
Thursday 10 September 2009 3.44pm
A new van replaced the one towed away from Bankside within 10 minutes, and at least 2 vans have continued there every day all day. So Tim, sorry, but it doesn't look as though confiscation stops them. If the law doesn't work, can't the Council issue a bye law or do something that's different from the endless cat and mouse game?
Monday 14 September 2009 8.57am
Walked from County Hall to Tower Bridge yesterday to see all that was going on re Thames Festival. Lost count of the number of ice cream vans parked on [or close to] South Bank all charging 3+ for their ice creams.

Is not easy trying to tell a 7yo why she cannot have a cornet from one of the vans.

Luckily, found a kiosk that was selling a 99 with sauce etc for 1.50 close to National Theatre - and it seemed to have more ice cream as well.

Am sure the authorities must have turned a blind eye to the vans over the weekend, which is such a shame.
Monday 14 September 2009 10.41am
I was at the Scoop yesterday for the Kid's choir - It was brilliant, loads of stalls, Korean food etc, but what stood out, visually, odorifically and auditory, peeking over the wall at the top... One of those vans. I always had simpathy for Don Quixote, but I am starting to understand him now...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions