London SE1 community website

Teenage stabbing and we are still watching

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Wednesday 4 June 2008 5.45pm
Equally for years we have happily let local councils close swimming pools and leisure facilities. For instance the only public pool I know of within walking distance of SE1 is Darwin Court off the Walworth Road - but it has restricted times of access. In terms off getting young people off the streets, a start would be to use the many empty community centres in this area for sports clubs or dare I say youth clubs - only trouble is you need people to be trained and run them… back to the council again. The latest frustration is the sports facility at the IWM park, beautifully designed and built and one would think a fantastic opportunity to run an early evening sports facilities for the under 18's? Sadly not, there is only one court open to the public which is a basketball court, the Astroturf pitches are hired out to local corporate teams after 6pm and but often during evenings and weekends lie unused and locked even though the local kids want to use them, it's madness that they can't! Back to the local council redeveloping and selling off what used to be an area open to all. Grrrrr it makes me so cross!

Living Space at Waterloo seem to have got it right, the have programmes for young people which in my experience are very well run. However, even their football pitch often lies empty and locked, the locals still use it but have to climb over the fence to get in - presumably a criminal offence that they could be arrested for…

OK, so I'm ranting but the main point is that the local council should reinstate the public leisure facilities that have been cut. Also provide properly run and relevant facilities for young people, particularly at weekends and during school holidays. IMO, such facilities could help towards reducing street crime/gang culture, help form local friendship groups (secondary schools are often quite a distance from home) and give young people a stakehold in their local community. Perhaps some of the many developers in the area could cough-up the funding?
Wednesday 4 June 2008 5.59pm
Wednesday 4 June 2008 7.56pm
there are so many things to change and to do about this:
*Schools open longer
*till 18 years obliged school
*If they leave school before 18 they have to work
*Teachers need more power
*Parents need to spend quality time with their children
*Parents need to be honest and open to their children
*Parents should discus the dangers of knives and guns
*Children under 18 should not play computer games with violence in it
*More playgrounds for teenagers/ swimming pool, basketball field.......open longer hours
*Children should be paying for lots of stuff, because now they don't appreciate it. Like travel costs..........
*Prisons need to change as well, because some people have a better living situation in prison

Here are some points we can discus with the local MP.
We are living in a world where almost everyone thinks 'it's not my problem', but what if it happens to one of your dearest?
Maybe the olympic games 2012 will change some of the problems and get children and teenagers more involved with sports. but that is to far from now!
A lot can change in 4 years time.
Zoe
Thursday 5 June 2008 7.19am
I'm afraid I can't go for the law and order approach like nero, we've tried that for 25 years, and have the highest prison population we've ever had, one of the highest in the western world, yet our society seems worse than ever. Nero may thing it's because prison is too soft, but if he tried visiting a prison he would find that isn't the case.

Mon2 has the right approach, we need to actually spend money on the problem; and cutting free travel for young people will just mean that they are stuck in the Aylesbury, Heygate or where ever they live. I really can't see why that would be preferble.

I grew up in a family that lived on benefits, I stopped going to school regualrly and often felt that no one cared about me. I had a big chip on my shoulder and really hated everybody. I didn't go around stabbing people, but I was really angry all the time, and could well have done without much provocation. I'm just glad I didn't grow up in Southwark, I would probably also be unable to read as well as really angry :-)
Thursday 5 June 2008 7.38am
Sophie, I am a klutz...i forgot about the shopping trolleys'..lmao...
Mon2..where is the IWM park? I agree with every thing you have said about buildings being sold off. Grange Road swimming baths, wonderful 1st and second glass pools, the first had a very high diving board which i regularly used, or rather jumped from! Now part of the Alaska building.
Wonderful Manor Place baths, used for boxing, swimming, then deemed unsuitable, according to who I'll never know. Then used in part as a council office, finally flogged off.
In view of the Livesey museum almost being sold off then someone investigating found that the council never owned the building anyway. I wish there was someone who had a the tenacity of a terrier and legal knowledge and time to investigate the old documents of southwark, perhaps back to the inception of council housing/service buildings and see if Southwark was legal in selling off any thing paid for by the people of Southwark.
sorry to rant again
Thursday 5 June 2008 7.43am
IWM park = Geraldine Mary Harmsworth Park

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 5 June 2008 7.49am
http://www.london.gov.uk/stateoflondon/

Is anyone attending this debate with the Mayor? It is free but you have to register for tickets.
Thursday 5 June 2008 10.43am
Yes, it both worries and scares me - forget being 6'2" and 'well built' when confronted by a potential killer[s].

Out of all Nero's valid points, and suggestions, I always return to The Family, that former reliable 'institution'.

However, I felt very sad, and angry, when the Police told me - 5 years ago - that in the majority of cases they were dealing with 'son/daughter of yob', in this Borough, at least. Sadly, I haven't seen that change.

I abhor violence and any suggestion of 'Lynch Mob' mentality.

Hopefully there will be a change, with the authorities focussing on Families and Education - but it willtake a long, long time. One cannot help wondering how it has been allowed to get to this point - rather like the decaying estates, such as Wood Dene, mercifully now demolished.
Thursday 5 June 2008 7.05pm
juanita: I will be there thanks for the link.

Zoe: regarding the prisons. i know people who work in a prison. The prisoners get free food, they don't have to pay bills, they get paid, they got a gym, some have swimmingpools, they can study and in the evenings they get drugs to keep them quiet.
the only bad thing in prison is that you have to live on the clock.

we know there are some teenagers who stabbed people to dead and all they get is 4 to 6 years behind bars.
How cheap is it to take someones live?????
Thursday 5 June 2008 7.12pm
I was actually surprised that it took rather a long time until the latest stabbing was discussed on here- it did happen in SE1, after all. And in that respect I support Nero in his observation that it seems that we are all 'watching' and not doing anything about it- not even talking about it on the Forum.

It is exactly this silence, whether it is on here or in 'real life' that allows some people to think that carrying a knife is a useful or cool thing to do.

Everybody will do what they think is right, especially those who are bringing up children.
Nero's ideas are just as valid as Zoe's, Mon2's or Jan's: they might not agree on how to tackle this but they do agree that this is about values. And that is where Nero, in my opinion, is spot on: the focus needs to be on how we bring up and educate children. They need to be taught that it is 'uncool' to carry a knife and that it is 'uncool' to be high on drugs. Because 'uncool' is a lot less attractive than 'not allowed'.

At least we're discussing it on here- that is 'doing something about it' however small that may be.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions