London SE1 community website

M&S Simply Food Bankside

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7
Wednesday 11 June 2008 4.59am
i sugest an email to M&S customer services, copied to southwark trading standards and the store manager
Wednesday 11 June 2008 7.59am
Just so you know the M&S Simply Food shops are joint ventures between M&S and Compass Plc, the catering company. Obviously they sell M&S products and the whole style is M&S, and again I am sure M&S are very much responsible for what happens, but just so you know.

I also feel that maybe food stops somewhere on the way to these Simply Food stores, maybe to be re-distributed, because the sell by dates always seem to have much less time left than if you go to a fully fledged M&S. Maybe there is a "just in time" delivery strategy but if it goes a bit wrong or demand isn't exactly as planned then the stores are in a bit of a mess.

As I said the shop was very well stocked with packaged goods, including wine BoroughPaul, and is soooooooo much nicer than either Sainsburys or Tescos, but if there isn't any fresh food, including ready meals or reday to to cook meals, or what there is is off or out of date then it sort of defeats the point.

And the mark-up over ordinary M&S stores is annoying too, but everyone seems to be into this area pricing game now. Bored.
Wednesday 11 June 2008 8.12am
The Simply Food stores at railway stations and service stations are a tie-up with Compass, but I don't think Compass has anything to do with the high street Simply Food branches.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
PKM
Wednesday 11 June 2008 8.57am
People should go in and ask for more fresh food and loose fruit and veg. M&S recently opended a shop down in the South West where my in-laws live and when loads of the locals demanded more loose fruit/veg and less pre-packaged stuff, they got it. I think M&S just think that most of their trade is going to come from office workers for lunchtime or people too busy to want "ingredients" rather than pre-packed stuff.
Wednesday 11 June 2008 8.58am
Apologies if I have got this wrong.
Wednesday 11 June 2008 11.30am
PKM wrote:
I think M&S just think that most of their trade is going to come from office workers for lunchtime or people too busy to want "ingredients" rather than pre-packed stuff.

Exactly right. They have applied a similar model to their outlets on station concourses - the stock and pricing structure will be aimed at relatively 'cash rich / time poor' customers, so those who are dashing out for lunch or passing through on their way home. Prices will also be generally higher than a high street outlet, where customers take more time over making their buying choices.

If local residents demand more fresh stuff they may get it - but perhaps M&S feel they are too close to Borough Market to do this.
Wednesday 11 June 2008 12.37pm
oh dear- not good. here goes my excitement for having a m&s on my doorstep.
i was in there yesterday and i didn't notice any smell, maybe by the afternoon it was cleared up?

the only thing i noticed was, that the poor girls behind the tills were 'frying' in the window, because the sun was beaming in. the carrot cake in front of the tills was getting the same sun treatment, which can't be healthy.

as to non packaged/loose items: this is the first m&s i have seen loose items in -ever. but maybe i didn't pay attention before.
i thought it was a great step in the right direction, showing that this wasn't intended as a sandwich/ready meal office worker place only, but a place for local residents to top up their shopping with some quality food and wine.
Wednesday 11 June 2008 1.04pm
which is exactly what it is...an add-on to what you would noramally buy and somewhere (at least!!!!) you can get decent (albeit not screw cap) wine locally
Wednesday 11 June 2008 4.58pm
...and cheese.

Not a great selection, but more than anywhere else I've found round here bar Borough Market (which I can't use because of the effect of the bimbling grockles on my blood pressure).
Thursday 12 June 2008 7.20am
I gave it another try last night and was pleased to see more choice when it came to the food offering....not brilliantly well stocked but much better than Monday night. And for the wine snobs amongst you most of the white and rose was screw cap and about half the red was too lol.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 3 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions