London SE1 community website

M&S Simply Food Bankside

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7
Friday 19 September 2008 3.57pm
Well, I wouldn't say the syntax is perfect ;-), but you meant "it is", not "belonging to it", right?
Friday 19 September 2008 4.47pm
Yes, I get these two concepts confused but generally get it right and no, my syntax is always in need of improvement, it helps not to be drunk at the time!
Sunday 26 April 2009 6.33am
So, 6 months or so on, what are peoples views on M&S Bankside?

I'm afraid I think the store remains very poorly managed:

- minimal stock levels. There is absolutely no excuse for regularly not having milk / chicken / onions, etc. Six months in, they still have made no progress in this area.

- disinterested staff, with generally rude attitude (for example, two staff often pottering around / chatting at the hot food area, whilst there can be a long queue).

- long queues at the tills.

Finally, I also have some concerns regarding rotting items on the shelves. I go in regularly as I walk home from work, and this week on 2 or 3 occasions there are clearly stale / rotting items (usually meat) left on the shelves.

I have tried to guage the temperature in the chilling cabinets, and they appear very variable. I'd encourage others to consider the do the same before buying!

What are the views / opinions / experiences of others?
Sunday 26 April 2009 7.59am
agree with you totally se1lurker...i suggest a strongly worded letter to M&S customer servces with a link to this site/tread may get some response from head office ... the store is a however a franchise
Sunday 26 April 2009 8.58am
I'm hoping they'll pick their game up now that RBS are set to move in, though I go there fairly rarely these days as it is of little use for a decent grocery shop when it comes to necessities.
Sunday 26 April 2009 10.58am
boroughpaul wrote:
agree with you totally se1lurker...i suggest a strongly worded letter to M&S customer servces with a link to this site/tread may get some response from head office ... the store is a however a franchise

Paul, are you sure its a franchise?

I know Compass run all the M&S Simply Food stores at service stations, etc, but I didnt know the did the ones in town/city centres.

I do find it amazing that the store at More London always seems well stocked, but less than half a mile away they can't seem to sort out their deliveries!
Sunday 26 April 2009 11.17am
my understanding was that all the stand-alone food stores are franchised out. it does have the look of one and the inconsistency between bankside and more would be explained if it were
Sunday 26 April 2009 11.59am
No, it's not a franchised store. The one at London Bridge Station is run by SSP, but More London and Bankside are wholly-owned stores.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 27 April 2009 9.57am
i would have a word with the manager.
we bought a muesli there which had a small rock in it, luckily no tooth was cracked...
and when i brought it to their attention they were absolutely terrified. got a refund and a new packet and a promise to be followed up. (which never happened, but the attitude was good enough for me on this occasion)

obviously this is very different to rotten meat, where the storage of the food is to blame rather than the factory where it is produced. and any slight problem with meat can make you seriously ill. they will have to take it seriously, or face major issues.
the stock of the shop is an problem however, esp at weekends, when the office worker clientele is not around.
supply and demand i suspect. not enough locals buying, but at m+s prices, are you really surprised? don't get me wrong, i still think this is a great addition to the local supermarket variety, albeit it's problems.
Monday 27 April 2009 10.17am
Still pointless as a destination shopping trip for food due to its lack of stock...I tried it again last week and as ever there really wasn't much there....such a shame because as a physical store it is so much more pleasant then either the very cramped London Brdidge Station shop (awful at rush hour) or the reasonably cramped More London one. I am still hoping the influx of RBS staff will bring a different stocking policy...because that is why it is so poorly stocked....and there will be more to buy at some point.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
Current: 6 of 7

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions