London SE1 community website

Best pubs in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Thursday 24 July 2008 9.11pm
Hi Jambop
How are you getting on with the pubs in the area?
Have you found any around here yourself that you would like to mention, I am always interested in other peoples opinions as they may recommend pubs that I don't visit very often that I may be missing out on.
I noticed that The Charles Dickens Inn is offering its own Charles Dickens real ale at 2.50 a pint. Tempted, I tried a couple of pints, excellent value.
Friday 25 July 2008 8.39am
reece wrote:
What about The Ring? That's not too far from the junction of Blackfriars Rd/The Cut.

Yuk. Absolutely no love has gone into the choice of beer at The Ring - it's all cooking lager rubbish.

Agree with others on The Clyde, The Royal Oak, The Ring and The Rose and Crown. The Charles Dickens does good beer and is much better since the departure of the old landlady, who shouted at me for slouching!
Friday 25 July 2008 9.16am
The Charles Dickens has an ale called "Oscar Wilde".

As it was an award winner I had a pint. Dark, lots of big flavours. I recommend it.

As it was lunch time I just had that 1 pint. But I'd go back.
Friday 25 July 2008 9.31am
My plumb for decent pubs would be The Rose of Weston Street and The Royal Oak on Tabbard Street. Proper old pubs with a great atmosphere for a sit down and a chat! There's also a pub - whose name I can't recall - just off Marshalsea Road on the junction with Ayres Street which looks great. Anybody familiar with this? Also, the Shipwright's Arms on Tooley Street is also a great old boozer.
Friday 25 July 2008 10.50am
that pub is the Lord Clyde Shane
Friday 25 July 2008 11.39am
I'd like to put in a vote for the Royal Oak - went for a few quiet ones at the weekend and was most impressed.

Top boozer with great selection of modestly priced ales.

The existing locals had that perfect mix of modest distain for newcomers without being in the least bit threatening.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions