London SE1 community website

E&C: back to the drawing board?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Current: 8 of 52
PJ
Tuesday 14 October 2008 6.42pm
Once again, totally agree the Northern underpasses are not half as bad as the Southern underpasses. You have to wade through in the Winter.
Tuesday 14 October 2008 9.14pm
Jackie makes a fair point, perhaps it's just the way they are policed/managed. A uniformed presence to keep the subways clear of miscreants, and to help the many people who wander around with an A-Z, (or more commonly now,an A4 sheet with a multimap printed on it), would make loads of difference.
Wednesday 15 October 2008 1.03pm
I don't particularly rate the Evening Standard's coverage of these matters, but today this is their assessment of the prospects for the E&C regen:

"Chances of completion: 50 per cent. Problematic track record and vulnerable to the funding crunch."

Full article here

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 21 October 2008 5.15pm
Two relevant written answers from the Mayor of London published today:

Question from Caroline Pidgeon AM
Will you agree to meet with myself and the Leader of Southwark Council as a matter of urgency to discuss his concerns about the impact of the proposals for the Southern Roundabout at the Elephant and Castle?

Answer from the Mayor
Sir Simon Milton and Ian Clement are due to meet with the Leader of Southwark Council on the 28th October and the proposals for the Elephant & Castle area will be discussed at that meeting.

Question from Valerie Shawcross AM
How will you be supporting the regeneration of the Elephant & Castle area?

Answer from the Mayor
I will be supporting the regeneration of the Elephant and Castle area through my planning transport and regeneration teams at the GLA, TfL and LDA. My officers have been attending a regular series of meetings with Southwark's officers in order to ensure that this regeneration project proceeds as smoothly as possible. TfL are engaged in a detailed joint study of the area's transport capacity with Southwark, which will amongst other things explore the possibility of reducing the impact of the traffic gyratory on the area as well as ensuring that any development that does come forward is supported by adequate transport infrastructure that is capable of being funded through contributions from developers and TfL programmes.

Tuesday 21 October 2008 8.14pm
Blimey, has ANYTHING been more consulted-about than these bloody roundabouts? It's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. It seems that the undercurrent is that the more times a spanner is thrown in the works the better the chance of not having to allot a penny to the project. Short sighted or what?
Wednesday 22 October 2008 1.32pm
Doubts grow over E&C regeneration says Contracts Journal

Tuesday 4 November 2008 11.59am
Any news from last nights overview and scrutiny comittee meeting ? Anyone go ?
Tuesday 4 November 2008 1.35pm
It's all pretty hairy, and indeed TFL is the fly in the ointment, disgraceful that they have held the whole project up for so long. I've written long and angry to the Mayor.
PJ
Tuesday 4 November 2008 1.44pm
It is all pretty hairy?? What has happened?
Tuesday 4 November 2008 2.47pm
I went to the meeting. It confirmed most of the press reports, brief summary of points here: (note that this is only my notes, I may have recorded things wrongly)

- Contract signing with Lend Lease "working for December/end year". E&C regeneration are confident that with a new person leading the Lend Lease team, and revised (more detailed) masterplanning work going on now at their (LLs) expense, this will still happen. Lend Lease's funding problems related to Olympic site and other areas were presented as allowing them to focus more effectively on E&C.

- The biggest stumbling block on progress with the roundabouts was presented as being actually the Northern roundabout. Here the massive issue (as James reports in news) is below-surface works related to improving the interchange between tube stations. Southwark's desire is understandably not to pay for renewal works that are properly those of TfL, and to pay only for enhancements.

- Cllr Humphreys said Southern roundabout "will change, whatever". Southwark have stressed the importance of street-level crossings to GLA (Simon Milton of GLA etc met there recently with Southwark), and Lend Lease were said also to support the ground level crossings, but the roundabout may remain rather than the proposed T-junction. But nevertheless, removal of the subways was presented by Cllr Kim Humphreys of Southwark as non-negotiable. Resolution expected “in next couple of months”. The issue is apparently that Lend Lease's scheme allows 6 seconds more green time for pedestrians than TfL feel is right. And that TfL have reviewed there previous models and reckon that their previous work underestimated car traffic impacts.

- Councillors expressed concern over Oakmayne site inaction - the E&C Regeneration representative said that their new application resolved a lot of issues and that most of the features, like the cinema, remained.

- Confirmed that Phase 1&2 of Heygate demolition would start next year, it was stated (I think) that 75% of flats are now empty. There was considerable discussion over the real problems facing those still in situ and the adequacy of processes in place to allow them to find appropriate alternatives.
Current: 8 of 52

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions