London SE1 community website

Memories of Snowsfields area (was: 'new')

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Saturday 16 August 2008 1.13pm
Hi Bren

You wouldnt believe this but I also worked in Southwark Bridge Road it was my first job I worked for Wright Layman & Umneys then down Tooley St at Warren & Reynoolds I left there when I married in 1958. I often went round my Nans for lunch so I have memories till about 1960 when I left the company.My Dad worked down Bermondsey St till 1959. Small World and like you I would love photos of Guinesses
Saturday 16 August 2008 2.00pm
I'll take some pics and put them up when the sun comes out!
I used to live in block E opposite the school and now I live in block L opposite the row of shops. For those that don't know, this area and Bermondsey Street in particular have become very fashionable. The row of shops opposite my block now has two cafes in it. People deinking coffee on the street. There's also an art gallery, well a picture shop.
I believe these buildings once had pitched roofs but I've never seen a pic with them on.
I have to say I love my flat.
Friday 22 August 2008 4.36am
Hi all,
I am researchng my family history & this is a long shot in the dark i know, but does anyone remember the family surname Mead that lived at 20 Snowsfields
and, from Lansdowne Place, the names Ellen Richards, Wiliam Mead and Edward Mead?
Also just a little further afield in Milcote Street the family of Charles and Elizabeth White? and Richard & Alice Stacey?
Charles & Elizabeth White had 9 children and
Richard & Alice Stacey had about 5 children.
I'm hoping that there may be someone who remembers any of these familys.
Fingers crossed anyway!! :)
Many Thanks
Michele.
Wednesday 23 September 2009 3.24pm
I remember Hartleys Jam Factory it was just off Grange Road, SE1. I got in a lot of touble once when I was little because a friend told me that you could get a an old half penny or a penny for each empty jar you took to them. I duly went knocking door to door and took a lot of jam jars to them and got paid. I of course bought sweets and my mother went potty. I never did it again. It makes me laugh to think of it now.

In fact the jam factory was right next door to the Medical Mission where I went for Christian Enveavour etc.
Thursday 24 September 2009 9.51am
The Lansdowne Medical Mission...off Law street..?
Saturday 26 September 2009 2.02pm
We always called it the Medical Mission. I do not know if it had a name in front of it. Just up on the main road about another 5 minutes away (I though it was called Grange Road) there was Bermondsey Swimming Baths and Public Baths. Bermondsey Town Hall was right near this place. The Mission used to treat minor injuries like small cuts etc. and you put in a tin what money you could afford. It seemed like a very regligous place. They also used to have Sunday School and Christmas Plays. I lived about 5 minutes away.
Sunday 27 September 2009 6.46pm
I remember going the Medical mission to watch a ' magic lantern' show, and the following week going to the Salvation army in webber street and seeing the same show of slides...

I think the Rag man collected old rags and jam jars, cant remember now if you gave him rags and he gave you a goldfish in a jar?
Monday 28 September 2009 3.57pm
It sounds like we are talking about the same place. I remember them showing us slides. There were all diffent subjects. Some of them were very interesting but some them were terrible and all I wanted to do was get out of there. I liked the Christmas Plays which we had to participate in.

The rag and bone man also bought back memories. He used to come round on his hourse and cart yelling any old rags. I am sure there was one living in Pages Walk. He won the pools and acted very grand after that.

It all seems like another life now. You do not see anything like that now.
Tuesday 29 September 2009 7.41am
Do you know what Tackley, in all the years I have been on this forum and asked different people who lived in our area if they remembered the Roundabout Man no one has..

He cart pulled a roundabout a massive thing, heaven knows how the poor old horse pulled it he used to pay a boy tuppence i think to wind it up, the handle reminded me of a mangle handle, wonderful piece of machinery with gears that turned it around and he charged a penny or so.

I dont suppose you remember it do you?
Tuesday 29 September 2009 7.49am
Jan,

The Roundabout Man

Scroll down to the section nearish the bottom.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions