London SE1 community website

Memories of Snowsfields area (was: 'new')

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Tuesday 29 September 2009 8.46am
Thank you Beetroot, I was beginning to think I ws imagining it! He looked a real 'spiv' as my my Mum would have said, like the bloke in the old St.Trinians..

The south london one looked bigger to my childish eyes! Our one had a few painted scrolls on it and I think our Man would have been much older.

But thank you much for sharing that with me as now when I talk people I can show them!...:-)
Thursday 1 October 2009 10.33am
I am not sure if I remember the Roundabout man. I seem to remember a horse and cart coming around. It was a large cart with very small cars or something like that. If you were small enough you could pay for a ride. My Mother used to give me six old pence to get a loaf of bread and sometimes I had enough money to have a ride.

Do you remember the pie and mash shop in the Old Kent Road. I think it was called Manzes. It makes me want some now. I will have to go to Westmoreland Road to have it. Westmoreland Road it just up from East Street Market.
Thursday 1 October 2009 1.25pm
Manzes is still in Tower Bridge Road, there was a pie shop in Old Kent Road, near East Street, can't think what that one was called though, we either went to Joyces little pie shop in tower bridge road or Manzes when Joyces closed..now I could really eat some now Tackley..
Sunday 4 October 2009 9.23am
Just been talking via Skype to my son and his wife in Australia. It is amazing that I can see them and the room they are sitting in. Technology has certainly moved on in the last few years.

Yes I remember Joyces in Tower Bridge Road. That is where we went for our pie and mash. I also remember Manzes. When I looked at Tower Bridge Road on google it seemed to be a different place than what I remembered. Tempus Fugis is diffently right.
Tuesday 22 October 2013 6.28am
I am new to the forum & was wondering if anyone remembers my Sister Jean who went to Snowsfields from 1947 or the Nowlands who were costermongers in Borough market or the Denfords who were Lightermen/ Sailors.
Also, Does anyone remember going Hop-picking in Kent?

My Dad was a Barry whose Father got killed in action in WW1.His Mother was a Jeffs who lived in Bittern Street.

My Mum was a Nowland whose Father also got killed in WW1.Her Mother was a Denford who lived in Tabard House, Manciple Street
Sunday 27 October 2013 12.59pm
I am searching for the grave of my cousin's grandmother,a Jane Maryann Perrott who died in 1920 aged 33.She lived with her husband and six young children in the Guinness Buildings in the Snowsfields area.

Does anyone know where the nearest cemetery would have been?I believe she was C of E.

Thank you
Sunday 27 October 2013 4.34pm
Most people from that area would have been interred at streatham cemetery. Don't know if any churches would still have churchyards for any ordinary people at that time. Ring Albins undertakers at rotherhithe they will give you advice about undertakers in that area at that time, they may have even arranged the burial. They are very nice.hope you get info. You need Elaine.
Sunday 27 October 2013 4.58pm
Thank you!I'll try all of those leads,it would make my cousin's day to know where her nan was buried.
Sunday 19 July 2015 5.26pm
medicalman wrote:
Hi All
I am new to this site,i have not lived in bermondsey for about 40years i was living in stevenage in hertfordshire,now im living in the wirral near liverpool, i would love to meet up with old friends of both sexys im stan webster i lived in guiness bldgs snowsfields if any one remembers me please get in contact
you all take care please
Sunday 19 July 2015 5.46pm
Hi I went to Snowfields from the age of 5yrs (1955) to 11yrs (1961) my Teacher from 5yrs to 7yrs was Miss Tring and from 7yrs to 11yrs was Mrs Henry.. I lived in Long Lane next to Samuel Taylor & Sons Haulage Depot my Grandparents were caretakers for the company, In late 1961 we moved to Essex and I only ever went back to Bermondsey on the odd occasion to see relatives or to attend weddings or funerals but that was long ago have not been back for over 40 years, keep saying I am going to take a trip down memory lane but never get around to it, but have some really great memories of the shops in Tower Bridge Road, Manzies the pie and mash shop the bakers with the hot do-nuts at 1p each, the best ever apple slice at 3p, the butchers on a Friday with hot boiled bacon and peace pudding, Rossi's ice cream house etc., the Horseshoe pub, Bermondsey Mission to get the best ever Orange juice and Baby powered milk, then there was Grange Road that had the bath house and in the summer would line up for ages to get a hot bath for 6p, the no 78 bus to Peckham Rye to go to Saturday Pictures such get days we did not have a lot but they were good days, so if anyone remembers me or if you were in the same class get in touch my maiden name was Pat Clark. Bye for now.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions