London SE1 community website

Newington Butts pawn shop

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Wednesday 28 December 2011 1.48pm
Hi Chalkey,
When I lived at 77, Crampton Street, the house was right next door to "Tom's" Yard. There were plenty of horses and their carts kept there. The stables were kind of under the railway arches, at the back of our garden. Even though a girl, I must have been a tom boy, because I used to play cowboys and indians in "Tom's" yard a lot and climb up on the coal carts and any others over there. Used to play with Malcolm Shurmer, Jean and Raymond Orris, Pat and Kevin Burns, Monica Price, Gillian Wheaton etc.

Our coal man, George Rosser, lived in Amelia Street I think and he used to come around with his horse and cart. I don't know if he kept it in the yard / alley by Shelton's shop (then it became Danny Unwin's shop when Bella worked there).
Wednesday 12 February 2020 4.20pm
Cheebs wrote:
Crampton Primary School memories Went to school there in the sixties,many fond memeories,they moved us up to keyworth street school so they could rebuild, when we came back they had removed the old junlge jim from the playground, but they gave us an indoor swimming pool, Mrs Ploughman was the headmistress and Mr Thomas our head teacher, we used to play football at kennington park and bedlam park,and swim at manor place baths,the elephant was a safe place for children, all i read on the forum is about muggings, stabbings and shootings,its not the people its the enviroment the goverments put us in ( highrises with no open spaces for the kids )living in australia its the same here now.

I was surprised to find this post as I was at Crampton St at the same time and it invoked many memories . I had been looking at photos of the Elephant and castle before 1960 modernisation and Manor place baths would you believe and was trying to find photos of the old school. I well remember the jungle Jim and was at Crampton from 1950 to 1958/9 left to go to The Beaufoy . That was years before it was merged with another school. Found a ray gunter our then local MP's speech in the Uk house regarding the state of our school and begging for the rebuild. I remember the outside toilets not good when its raining!!
Wednesday 12 February 2020 4.25pm
Cheebs wrote:
Hi Pat,
Still trying to work out how to use the forum i keep answering myself, anyways i went to crampton street primary just of peacock street, then went on to borough beaufoy just of lambeth walk, used to have me pie mash down the walk also me dad worked at the pawnshop harvey & thompson down the walk,glad too be on the forum as it keeps me in touch, can remember the furniture shop next to clock place,and the sweet shop round the corner on draper street before the subways when in, used to live on the corner of crampton st and newington butts opposite churchyard row, the salvation army used to play outside our house on sunday afternoons, wasnt exactly top of the pops.

I was surprised to find this post as I was at Crampton St at the same time and it invoked many memories . I had been looking at photos of the Elephant and castle before 1960 modernisation and Manor place baths would you believe and was trying to find photos of the old school. I well remember the jungle Jim and was at Crampton from 1950 to 1958/9 left to go to The Beaufoy . That was years before it was merged with another school and became the borough Beauty.. Found a Ray Gunter, our then local MP, made a speech in the Uk house regarding the state of our school and begging for the rebuild. I remember the outside toilets not good when its raining!!
I am now 73 retired living in Cheshire. and its also 2020 I think your post was in 2008!!! Whats your name because there can't me that many of us went to both schools as Crampton had 270 and Beauty 456 pupils when I was there. My name is Ferrar there were 8 of us!!
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions