London SE1 community website

Concrete classics

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Tuesday 22 July 2008 9.12am
I wonder if you could hear the trains when in the cinema?

I actually quite like concrete buildings so I'll give some examples of concrete buildings I really like : National Theatre, Barbican Centre, Hayward Gallery, Trellick Tower.

Sea containers house on the South Bank is pretty horrific...
Tuesday 22 July 2008 9.30am
not concrete and certainly not a classic, Portcullis House, just outside SE1, those 'black chimney' things really do look terribly out of place amongst all the other stuff nearby, Westminster Cathedral, HoP, St Christophers tower, Whitehall, etc.
Tuesday 22 July 2008 10.11am
JonR wrote:
not concrete and certainly not a classic, Portcullis House, just outside SE1, those 'black chimney' things really do look terribly out of place amongst all the other stuff nearby, Westminster Cathedral, HoP, St Christophers tower, Whitehall, etc.

If you take another look at the building, you will see that it mimics/interprets the lead roof of the Houses of Parliament.
Tuesday 22 July 2008 10.15am
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
I know that our parking lot used to be a cinema...which would be quite nice actually. And it was for movies, not for people. THis habit of building slap up against the railway bewilders me. Of course the flats which are going to rattle most will be for key workers and so on (just the thing if you work shifts!), and for the "affordables" ...bloody immoral in my view.

I agree with you absolutely, it's really shoe-horned in and not in an especially graceful way. And is it just me or does the building look meanly proportioned and as though it's made out of cardboard?

Oddly where I am now (Oyster Court/O-Central) the affordable part of the scheme is in the better position with the quiet Crampton Street on one side and a yard on the other, while the pricey "luxury" apartments are up against the railway viaduct. Being in the affordable part of the development I am rather glad about this!

Back to the concrete I too am a fan of the National Theatre, the quality of the finish seems to be much better than the Hayward Gallery and Purcell Rooms next door and just seems to work much better as a place for people (externally, at least).

Also agree that Sea Containers House seems to lack merit although the brash gold touches (especially in the lobby and around the entrance) are an amusing image of times gone by. Apparently the same architect was responsible for some of the more over the top touches on Stena Sealink's ferries of the day.

And yes, the Thistle/Gouman Tower hotel looks pretty grim. A friend stayed there for a conference a year or two ago and said the interior was a little tatty and dated.
Thursday 4 December 2008 11.31pm
Thanks to a poster on "Another Forum", I've just discovered that some picture of the former Odeon Cinema (latterly and confusingly called the Coronet) were posted on Flickr earlier in the year. I've not seen such a good set of images before:

Odeon Elephant and Castle

The building was designed by Erno Goldfinger awho was also the architec of the adjacent Alexander Fleming House (now Meto Central Heights).

You can also see how different AFH/MCH looked before the pastel paint job.
TAK
Friday 5 December 2008 2.05am
and if you stay on that flickr page and browse a little longer you'll aslo find pictures of the Trocadero which I believe was knocked down to make space for the Goldfinger designed cinema.
Trocadero Elephant & Castle
Friday 5 December 2008 9.08am
Thanks Lang Rabbie for the link to that cinema flickr site. fantastic set of pictures. It does show the pride that used to be involved in designing cinemas for the masses. Compare the interior to the Odeon Surrey Quays!
Friday 5 December 2008 10.04am
Its a shame we never learn! The Trocadero looks like an amazing building but we demolished it. Unusually it was replaced by another fantastic building, and that got demolished too and now we have just a very average housing block there.
Friday 5 December 2008 10.05am
I enlarged the 'new' troc. and saw the graffiti on the back of the rotten seats..how sad we have lost so much beauty in our lives..thank heavens for cameras and photographers!
Friday 5 December 2008 10.38am
for ugly concrete add the awful KPMG/Mermaid building at Blackfriars, destroys the view of St Pauls from the south bank
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions