London SE1 community website

Third World Postal Service

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next
Current: 10 of 13
Tuesday 20 January 2004 11.07am
Which office on Mandela Way should we go to? The Enquiry Office there can't help and told me to talk to the postman, which doesn't really make sense.
Tuesday 20 January 2004 12.47pm

DEAR ALL

As promised, Simon Hughes MP has arranged for a public meeting to be held on Friday 23rd January from 19.00 - 20.30 about the standard of postal service in SE1.

The venue for the meeting will be the upstairs function room of the BLUE EYED MAID Public House on Borough High Street. As discussed please be sure to bring specific examples of postal problems in SE1.

Many thanks and we look forward to seeing as many of you there as possible.

Ed James

Tuesday 20 January 2004 1.27pm
Dear Ed,

Please can you let us know what kind of 'specific examples' you want the group to bring.

It's not easy to bring mail that was never delivered, for example..

Would you accept written statements? Would these have to be signed?
Tuesday 20 January 2004 1.48pm
Sputnik - from my experience of similar situations I would suggest as a starting point that everyone bring a short document with the following details:

Your name and address

Short details of your complaint including:

1. Dates / method of posting;
2. Details of items that were delayed / went lost or missing;
3. If delayed, when did the items arrive ?
4. If damaged, how ?
5. What you did next - complain to Royal Mail / Postwatch - include the reference number of your complaint ?
6. What was the response to your complaint ?

And then sign the document. I don't think it would need to be more than 1 - 1.5 sides of A4. If you have copies of posting receipts or (in my case) emails from Royal Mail saying they don't accept the "alleged" items were ever sent to you, then attach them to the back.

Anything else we think it would be helpful to include ?

Tuesday 20 January 2004 1.48pm
My postal entertainment this week (and I live in a house, not in a block of flat with Mr Hughes's potential entry problems as reported in the SLP):

1. Letter posted Cambridge, September/October 2003 arrived this week.

2. Letter addressed to house 2 doors down received yesterday.

3. Letter posted last Thursday, West London, arrived yesterday having 3 extra postmarks as well as the company frank...

4. Parcel from ebay seller (book) posted shortly after Christmas never arrived

5. Parcel from different ebay seller (car light) posted 10th January never arrived

Ed James: What would you like me to bring? 1 and 3 I can bring. 2 I was going to return to its proper place tonight. 4 & 5 all I can do is to bring the ebay printouts and subsequent correspondence with the sellers. Sadly I doubt I still have the recorded delivery item from the TV licencing people as it would have been interesting to see who had 'signed for' it.

Regards

'mapmaker'
Tuesday 20 January 2004 5.59pm
Dear Sputnik

Any details would be helpful. What Harriet suggested is very sensible though and would perhaps be the best way to compile information.

Any list of details obviously does not have to be exhaustive. They will serve as a guideline however, and hopeful help to identify where and how the service is failing.

Regards,

Ed James

Tuesday 20 January 2004 7.08pm
I have complained about very late delivery numerous times, and have been asked to provide the actual envelopes of any items that arrived late, to help in tracing which stages of the process were causing a problem - or thats what I was told, though I cant imagine how this would help, it feels more like an off-putting tactic. I have since collected numerous examples which I shall be contributing, though sadly am unable to make the meeting on Friday. In the meantime heres two examples of my problems:

Not one but 2 passports completely disappeared - causing all sorts of problems for me along with worries of identity theft.

Medical supplies from Addenbrookes Hospital, marked "Urgent Medical Supplies" - delivered 2 weeks late.

I have to say that there are periods when most of my mail arrives very reliably. But it really is completely unacceptable the rest of the time when for days or weeks at a time, everything arrives 3,4, 5, or up to 10 days late. And anytime, there can be individual items that for no obvious reason take weeks if not months to arrive, or never come. Even the 'guaranteed before 12' service is no solution - these come whenever the rest of the delivery comes - often 2pm these days. I complained about a guaranteed service a couple of weeks ago and received a completely unapologetic letter saying it had arrived on the right day - missing the point surely? Also its the sender who gets any small amount of compensation due, rather than the addressee who actually suffers from the late delivery. Understandable that the person paying the postage should get the compensation - but very annoying for the addressee.

The only positive point is that I've got to know my very nice postman quite well - due to the number of times I've had to chase him down the balcony with wrongly delivered items or queries about when my late items might arrive.

T U Ms. Jo

jac
Wednesday 21 January 2004 11.52am
Recieved a letter to day that required a signature on delivery. It was just but through the door with the other post.
Wednesday 21 January 2004 5.48pm
I have had a cheque book stolen & cheques totaling many thousands of 's were written. Thankfully the bank rang me because of the signature & neither were honoured. The book was posted by the bank on Tuesday 6th Jan & then used on 12th & 15th. I have informed Mandela Way & reported this to the Borough High St police station. I live in Snowsfields & I have had my neighbours post delivered to me & vica-versa.
While at the Mandela Way office there were a few people complaining & the conversations were much as reported in the many previous posts above.
I shall not be able to attend Friday's meeting but hopefully this thread will of use.
Good luck to you all.

Wednesday 21 January 2004 8.19pm
Unfortunately I can't attend Friday's meeting - but from now on I shall post a weekly update on things that have gone wrong - until things improve:

Today Wednesday:

1) Danish paper arrived (should have arrived Saturday)

2) 'The Economist' arrived (should have arrived Saturday) - ironically it is clearly labelled "URGENT JOURNAL, NEWSPAPER 1ST CLASS" on the front...

3) Important correspondence sent 1st class from Denmark arrived 7 days after being posted (elsewhere in London there is a 2 day lead time on first class letters from Denmark)

4) Got a letter addressed to someone in a different street, with a completely different house number + a different post code (and by the way it is a 1st class letter sent 5 days ago).

- Have raised complaint with Royal Mail but notice that strictly speaking the above is not more than 4 business days delayed (and hence no compensation) - although getting a weekly paper 4 days late is pretty useless.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next
Current: 10 of 13

This thread has been closed
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions