London SE1 community website

Third World Postal Service

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next
Current: 12 of 13
Friday 23 January 2004 12.03pm
Just a reminder that, if you can't make the meeting tonight, I am happy to take along details of your complaint in the format suggested above - e:mail to [email protected]

Thanks also to those who have already e:mailed.

I know that having the meeting on a Friday night isn't ideal, but hope that as many of the rest of you as possible can turn up. If we are to get anyone at Royal Mail to take this seriously, it will help to be seen as generally representative of postal service users in SE1, not just a minority who make lots of complaints about things via this website but don't actually do anything about it when the opportunity arises. *

* for the avoidance of doubt, I am not suggesting for one moment that the users of this board, myself included, are such a minority - I'm just suggesting how Royal Mail will spin it if there isn't a big turn out tonight - if I were them, I would almost certainly have someone there.

Post edited (06 Feb 04 11:35)
Friday 23 January 2004 4.48pm
Harriet,

fair comments, but also let's not forget that we were given only a few days' notice of the date of the meeting, and it's on a Friday night.

It'll be luck if really _anyone_ on this forum can make it, especially given that we need to put some time into the preparation. (Thanks for your advice on that by the way.)

That said, I am trying my best to come along, but it is taking some juggling.
Friday 23 January 2004 4.50pm
I saw mention of tonight's meeting in today's South London Press but can't find it on their website. Perhaps James can.
Friday 23 January 2004 5.23pm
SLP story is here... but I've just realised that James had already posted the link way back on 16 Jan 04 at 16:07

Friday 23 January 2004 5.38pm
Sputnik,

I quite agree that Friday's aren't ideal. I think almost everyone has had to rearrange stuff to make it.

My comment above wasn't meant to sound like having a go - just a plea for this not to pass by because of inertia. I know that some of the people who have had the most serious problems can't make it, and I would hate to have all this just get dismissed by Royal Mail as a few agitators.

Hope to see you there anyway. [I will the one with a pink carnation clenched between my cheeks and a copy of the West Aberdeen and Highland Gazette]

Friday 23 January 2004 5.50pm
Hi Harriet,

I made those comments in case Royal Mail try to dismiss us. The more we are clear about the fact there are several channels for collecting our many complaints (namely the meeting, letters to Simon Hughes, your collection, this forum) the less they can dismiss us. We're a big group!

and an example of an emerging type of community action group, I'll wager)

I'll look out for your carnation - I will be the one carrying a small puppy.
Friday 23 January 2004 5.54pm
I'll be there, although preparation for details of problems I've had has been tricky due to masses of work this week.
Friday 23 January 2004 6.12pm
The brief item in today's SLP doesn't appear to be online.

Hopefully the news item on this very site will have alerted a few more people who haven't been following this discussion

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/792

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 23 January 2004 9.30pm
Well it happened. We went - there were 9 of us; plus Mr Hughes; Mr James; Lee from SE1 Magazine and a reporter from Channel 4.

Well done to Harriet for collating large quantities of information and everybody who was involved with the organisation. It appears ther is definitely a problem and that our MP is going to try to do somthing about it. He did suggest that the problem had been ongoing for a decade or so, to a greater or lesser degree.

He pointed out that the Royal Mail is the only remaining nationalised industry. I'm sure what he really meant was that it must be ripe for privatisation... but he muttered something about it belonging to 'the people' which I rather thought was a term that had disappeared with the Berlin Wall :)

The conclusion appears to be that if you want to be safer:

1. Set up direct debit payments for all your bills so as to avoid bills that don't arrive and so you are cut off.

2. Run all accounts/utilities/ etc. online so that statements dcannot get lost.

3. Make sure that you have a work address in the City/West End so that valuable items, packages and other items don't have to go through Mandela Way.

4. Make sure that cheque books, credit cards etc. are to be picked up from your bank, not delivered by post.
jac
Friday 23 January 2004 10.01pm
Well done to those who made it unfortunately I couldn't .

Mapmaker I like the advice given. Is Simon Huges, really suggesting that all business move to west end city so they can get valuable post, Not much good for SE1. And I wonder..... I work from home, do you think he would pay my city office rent if I were to move?
Pages:  PreviousFirst...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next
Current: 12 of 13

This thread has been closed
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions