London SE1 community website

Third World Postal Service

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Current: 13 of 13
Friday 23 January 2004 10.01pm
Thanks to those that have been there; I couldn't make it and I apologize for that. With all respect for mr Hughes, I think that his suggestions are reinforcing the bad delivery of the Royal Mail in SE1. Why should we think of alternatives to be safer, whereas the whole point of this discussion is that we want Mandela Way to deliver the way they should? I don't have any other address, so where do I have my contact lenses sent? Did he have any other solutions? Did he say what he was going to do about the cause, rather than tell us how to deal with the symptoms?
Friday 23 January 2004 11.36pm
News item on tonight's meeting with picture

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
SEH
Saturday 24 January 2004 12.20am
JAC and Maurits,

I was there and if you reread Mapmaker's post you'll see that it wasn't Simon Hughes' recommendation but Mapmaker's conclusion from the meeting. Simon Hughes listened and took notes and is going away to pass on the problems and get a response from the Post Office - have a look at the website for a report of the meeting. It was interesting to hear how many people had had similar bad experiences and it's true that everyone who could (including me) got important/valuable mail delivered outside SE1.

SEH

Saturday 24 January 2004 12.10pm
I hope that when Simon Hughes is making his case to the Post Office/Mandela Way etc etc, he does the maths on this and remembers it's a fairly random sample of local residents.

9 web-forum readers on a Friday night attending the meeting with very little notice must equate to hundreds or perhaps thousands of people across the postcode - people who have had similar problems, but who don't have web access, don't know the site, wouldn't participate in a forum- etc etc.

I wonder what the calculations might be on this.

And I hope that he remembers that the complainants on this list number far more than the 9 who could make it. We are legion...
Saturday 24 January 2004 4.58pm
I hasten to add, to reinforce SEH's comments that they were NOT Mr Hughes's suggestions to us. Rather it was a few suggestions that cropped up during the meeting for how people deal with what is certainly a serious problem.

If you'd rather be safe than sorry then follow my tips so far as you are able...

Anyway, he asked us to undertake an 8 day monitoring exercise. I should imagine that anybody who wishes to is welcome to join in. Please make a note of any postal issues you have over the next week. Email your results to him. He is well aware that there was only a handful of us, and that we are legion - or maybe that there are hosts of us whilst dodgy postal workers are legion...

A couple of other facts that we learned at the meeting:
Apparently we are in a trial zone for 1 delivery per day rather than 2.
A postman is allowed to go home when he has finished his rounds.
Saturday 24 January 2004 6.14pm
As this thread is now rather long, please continue this discussion here
Pages:  PreviousFirst...3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Current: 13 of 13

This thread has been closed
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions