London SE1 community website

Third World Postal Service

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 13
Tuesday 6 January 2004 12.24pm
I emailed them too and they just called to sign me up. Its basically posting and hopefully receiving mail and reporting back to them. Only a couple of packages a week and you do it for as long as you want. They supply everything that you need - stationary etc.
I had to try not to laugh when they said they'd be sending me a package soon...it'll probably never get to me!
Tuesday 6 January 2004 1.23pm
this shoddy service with the post in SE1 is not a recent thing. I have been complaining for around a year to Royal Mail and Postwatch with very little effect. I had a number of items stolen in the post, including chequebook, utility bills, broadband modem, opened cards and bank statements -- even job application forms! - the chequebook was used fraudulently, presumably with the utility bills to back up as ID. So effectively somewhere in the postal system, someone has stolen my identity. I reported the stolen chequebook to the police but they pretty much said they couldn't do anything -- I did this really to get a crime reference number, incase I discover someone has been ordering goods or whatever in my name.

Postwatch have been utterly useless and Royal Mail told me, surprise surprise that they couldn't investigate individual cases of fraud, and even if they did bother to find out if other people in my area were having a problem, they wouldn't be able to tell me if they were investigating. Oh and very helpfully they said that no post other than registered is guaranteed.

Surely just the entries from this list there would be enough to justify an investigation from Royal Mail as there is clearly a trend. I have already suggested to Royal Mail that they investigate Southwark Delivery Office but they have been completely resistant and on some occasions suggested that the utilities and my bank hadn't actually sent me any of the items I had identified as missing -- perhaps if we petition Simon Hughes something could be done?
Tuesday 6 January 2004 3.49pm
In my faxed letter, I asked Simon Hughes' advice about the best way of involving him in order to get action.

From looking at the list on this site (http://www.faxyourmp.com/youandyourmp.php3#howmpdeals)

there seem to be a number of ways to involve him, including petitions, lobby groups, letters and to meet him via his surgery and I think we need advice before we self-organise much further. Might as well be tactical for maximum effect, and hopefully action.

Anyway - I am happy to be involved in a petition, meeting or letter-writing and to help organise it.

The more stories emerge on this thread, the more it seems to be a problem that can only be dealt with at a higher level than the quangos currently appointed.

A question to the users of Research International. What is done with the research - do you know? If it's not going to kick some ass in Royal Mail or higher, then is it actually just therapeutic for us post-starved hordes?

and Harriet, a very useful-looking mass of info and it's good to know there is an aim of regulation and good service. But from looking at the Postcomm site, its actual consumer complaints division is Postwatch, the organisation many of use have complained to, an action which usually seems to result in being posted a book of stamps and a dumb apology (as per the many messages on this thread.)
Tuesday 6 January 2004 4.17pm
Hi Sputnik

Just as I was reading your piece, Research International called me so I asked what is being done with the survey information and apparently the client is Royal Mail.

The 5 monthly vouchers are for use in stores like Poundstretcher, M&S, Boots, Argos, Woolworths, etc. You can either be a Receiver (for 18 stamps a month) or a Sender/Receiver for 12 stamps a month plus voucher.
Tuesday 6 January 2004 5.16pm
I've asked to be a sender/receiver.

Hope they want me.

Would love to get involved in any organised action, and I'll keep an eye out on here for any ideas

...there's plenty more c**** in the cup.
Tuesday 6 January 2004 5.27pm
Hi again Sputnik

I see above that you were asking about a news journalist. Chief Reporter at South London Press is Oscar Mortali and you can contact him at [email protected] (include FAO: Oscar Mortali in subject heading) or at [email protected] He'd at least know who the most interested journalist at SLP might be.
Tuesday 6 January 2004 6.09pm
I had a cheque book stolen from in the post last month, which was used to pay outrageously large cheques.

I also received (hilariously) yet another letter from the TV licencing people for not having a TV licence. This letter however was sent by recorded delivery. Needless to say, the letter was just dropped through the door, and I didn't have to sign for it. (Fortunate that, as I wouldn't have been very amused to have gone to the post office to collect it!)
Wednesday 7 January 2004 11.34am
I also received a letter yesterday for not having a TV licence either. Have signed stuff before and phoned them to tell them I do not have a telly but still get letters saying we don't really believe you. The annoying thing about this one is that it instructed me to sign the other side declaring (again) that I don't have a telly, and asked me to return it in the pre paid envelope - the letter was just dropped unwrapped through the door, with no sign of an envelope in sight, so I now have to fork out for a stamp, to tell them again what they already know.

I am also happy to be involved in any action about the problems with Royal Mail -- contacting the press might be a good idea as well as seeing what Simon Hughes comes back with.
Wednesday 7 January 2004 1.06pm
I have recently moved home and paid 32 for having my mail redirected to my new address. In order to test how much time this 'normally' takes I sent 2 letters to myself: one the old address, the other to the new address. Both letters have been posted on 18 December. Both letters still have to arrive....

I am about to cancel my Time Out subscription as I receive it after the relevant week: most of the times it's 9 to 10 days late.

I am also happy to assist in whatever action against the Royal Mail.
Wednesday 7 January 2004 1.47pm
I am happy to assist in any action necessary.

I have posted my problems and my extensive dealings (none of them fruitful) with Postwatch on an earlier thread but in terms of missing items, the ones which I know about include a birthday present from June 2003 and correspondence with London Electricity dating from June and July last year.

I think it's ridiculous that I actually have to ask people not to send me items in the post and instead go out of my way to collect them or get them delivered to a friend's address outside SE1.

The sooner this is sorted out the better.

Toby
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 5 of 13

This thread has been closed
September at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions