London SE1 community website

Simon The Tanner Pub sold again

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 2 of 10
Monday 28 July 2008 10.42am
Dee Dee is right MysteryX. Its been on the market via Acorn & others for ages now and has not sold. Acorn are not the developers and they don't own it. No developer will buy it, the numbers just don't add up. Unless maybe it becomes a family home. So if your friend still wants it as a pub I'd suggest they make a fresh bid. It would be great if it stayed as a pub, and being opppsite the new Bermondsey Sq can only help it now.
Monday 28 July 2008 10.51am
It'd be nice to see it run properly as a pub again, hopefully the new bermondsey sq residents will prefer to go there than walk a few seconds further up Bermondsey St, or The Marigold. Bring back the little nooks, and all the Betty Boop memorabilia that's what i say!

and real ale, and good food too.
Monday 28 July 2008 11.52am
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
I agree that 1 -2 bed flats have their market. But [email protected] been seriously worried that, as a result of all these new developments squashing in the maximum units, with tiny rooms and no kitchen space to speak of, we will have no families left in central London. No one with anything more than a toddler can really raise a family in a flat so small.
That's not strictly true (or there's a nation of Japanese families, for instance, who would tell you otherwise).

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 28 July 2008 12.34pm
It used to be the lovliest pub. We had a great social there, too - was it the first ever SE1 social (save for the famous visit to Simon Hughes to talk about post).
Monday 28 July 2008 5.33pm
Yep - I'm sure. My friend heard from another agent that Acorn bought it to apply for planning consent and then sell it on as development with consent. I've seen the Acorn document! Fleurets (and others) still have it as for sale on their websites, but if you phone they all say it's sold (and one forwarded the acorn thing).
Monday 28 July 2008 8.18pm
its actually more likely that Acorn sold it to someone, who then has to sell it on again through Acorn agan once the new planning is obtained. Thats how it works. Notwithstanding...its not selling, so surely your friend could approach Acorn to buy it as a pub with 2 flats above? They might need the cash in the current market...
Monday 28 July 2008 11.00pm
900k is a bit too much! Mind you, whoever owns it still may not get planning permission for flats above it. Personally, if I bought it to run it as a pub I'd want the 4 bed maisonette above it that it currently has. Also, If I was looking for a flat, I don't think I'd buy one above a pub. Tbh we can't see how they'd make any money back if some one buys it for 900k and builds 2 - 3 flats on the 2nd and 3rd floor. With the cost of converting them in the first place it just wouldn't be financially viable unless someone paid 350k to 400k per flat 1 - 2 bed pokey flat!
Monday 28 July 2008 11.45pm
Hello everyone

I moved away from Bermondsey about 2 years ago but I like to pop on line now and again to keep up with my roots! I was sorry to see that the Simon the Tanner has closed but I think while I was still in Bermondsey it had changed from all recognition to the pub I used to use!

That set me thinking. Those were the days! That was when there was a piano along the wall and every weekend there was a singsong! Thick smoke and everyone knew everyone else! They ran a loan club and then there were outings arranged to places like (I think it was called) The Room at the Top in Ilford - darts matches with other local pubs and sandwiches ALWAYS laid on by the “Missus”. That particular Landlord and Lady were Barbara and Tom. A really hard working couple.

But then again all the local pubs were good in those days: “Bobbies” why it was called that I don't know - its real name was The Ancient Briton which later changed to Gillies and then into a block of flats! George Piper and Hilda ran it in those days.

The Ship was a “youngsters” pub! This was when the boys wore shirts and ties and suits! All made to measure too! Tonic Mohair I believe were ones my brothers had!

Then there was the Marigold - I know Eileen you are still going strong with your son Kevin and daughter Young Eileen! O what tales that pub could tell!

Then of course there was the Horseshoe - run at one time I think by a member of Ted Heath's Band then later by Lou Michels till it was closed and turned into Tower Bridge Mansions!

The Jolly Tanners came in around Alice Street at the bottom end with Hartleys Jam factory at the other - I used to work there for a little while. That pub also turned into flats!

Then there was the Lord Wellington in Weston Street also turned into flats. I lived next door to that pub now I believe a take-away!

That brings us back to The Valentine and Orson in Long Lane - another “good” pub in its day.

And we can't forget the Leather Market Tavern but I do believe that one at least is still going!

When pubs changed hands in those early days everyone would “call in” because the new publican always bought you a drink! Which they also did at Christmas time and was much appreciated as you went back! And at New Year they invariably gave you a present either a diary or a key chain - I still have some about somewhere!

I think the reason they were all good pubs was because people enjoyed going out and dressing up to go out! Weekends wasn't a case of putting on any old thing as long as its clean will do! Money was spent on looking good and dressing up - then TV took over and I think that was the beginning of the decline. Next the taxman took pleasure in taking his share every year and after that the supermarket chains started selling cheap booze and I think we are now back at the beginning again - tenement flats being built! Like the ones knocked down under compulsory purchase orders. Hey ho - it's a funny old world! Its all about money now! And as Lou of the Horseshoe would say “they talk in telephone numbers now”

Sorry for going on but its brought back many memories to me and I have enjoyed remembering! lol

Best wishes to all
Teresa
Tuesday 29 July 2008 12.16pm
I see that Ruse Too on Law Street has also closed down now. Planning permission has been granted to turn it into a nursery school. The builders working on it say that it is for 3-5 year olds and that it should be open in October.
Saturday 16 August 2008 10.10pm
Does anyone know how long there has been a Simon the Tanner pub on that site?

As I was only aware of Simon the Tanner as an Egyptian Coptic Saint, I'd cynically assumed that the name was thought up by somebody in a pub company, with an awareness of the local leatherworking industry but I've just found out that it appears to have been there since 1842.

From the same page, Fellmonger is the new word with which I have "increased my wordpower" today. Does anyone have any idea where the "Fellmongers' Arms" was?
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 2 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions