London SE1 community website

Simon The Tanner Pub sold again

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 3 of 10
Sunday 17 August 2008 8.39am
The Fellmongers used to be a short walk (or crawl)from the Vic in Pages Walk, I think it was on the corner of Willow Walk and Crimscott St.
Sunday 17 August 2008 9.22am
Cheers. I didn't think there could have been a pub site off Fellmonger's Path on TBR.

The pub must of course be named for the chap mentioned in the New Testament, who I had completely forgotten, not the Coptic saint of a thousand years later

Edward Walford 'Bermondsey: The abbey', Old and New London: Volume 6 (1878), pp. 117-133 wrote:
The old-established house, known as "Simon the Tanner," is situated in Long Lane. The sign makes allusion, of course, to the tanner of Joppa, of whom we read in the Acts of the Apostles, as having St. Peter as his lodger. "The sign," says Mr. Larwood, "is supposed to be unique."

You would never believe I once had a Sunday School scripture prize.
Monday 18 August 2008 2.19pm
Lang Rabbie wrote:
Does anyone know how long there has been a Simon the Tanner pub on that site? ... I've just found out that it appears to have been there since 1842.
The earliest reference I can find online is 1823
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=0aYqMsk6SgMC&pg=PA15

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 18 August 2008 5.50pm
James Hatts wrote:
The earliest reference I can find online is 1823
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=0aYqMsk6SgMC&pg=PA15

Cheers - that is actually a reprint of some essays first published in 1792-1793 so we are getting a bit further back.
Tuesday 19 August 2008 3.09pm
I cannot remember the full tale, but I was told that Milwall supporters use to drink in one of the Queen Victoria & the Fellmongers; and followers of some other local team use to drink in the other. Following the shipping of considerable quantities of beer, needless to say the fireworks could be considerable.
Wednesday 20 August 2008 7.56pm
Apparently the offer on the pub fell threw. The pub is in an awful state inside having had a few leaks, and still having a leaky roof! I'd have thought the current owners is seriously breaching the requirements of having a grade II listed building. I'm surprised the council hasn't fined him and forced him to repair it! Probably hoping it will rot to the point of needing knocking down and redeveloping the site, which will be a shame. Hope he doesn't get away with it or manages to sell it to someone who's willing to give it the TLC it needs!

There is a caretaker living on site though.
Wednesday 20 August 2008 8.03pm
Do you think it falls under a building at risk described under the link below?

Southwark coucil listed buildings
Thursday 21 August 2008 9.45am
if you have concerns you should certainly raise it with them

Given the deal has fallen through i would have thought it was a great opportunity for your friend to put in a much lower offer if in a delapidated state and get this accepted.
Thursday 21 August 2008 11.51am
Could be the possibility of a bargain, what with Bermondsey Square soon to open, new developments/refurbs along Long Lane and planning permission applications in for someone *finally* doing something constructive with the antiques markets buildings too.
Thursday 21 August 2008 3.10pm
I have spoken with a friend at EH who has given me some advice.

he suggested contacting Southwark Council, who should have a conservation officer, who should need to know about this kind of thing. I've looked and found that they have a buildings at risk officer - Aine McDonagh (usual email first.last@southwark.gov.uk). it's worth contact him(her?) to ensure that they are aware of the current 'situation'. The Simon The Tanner pub may not be deemed 'at risk' yet though. it's not about to collapse, and hasn't fallen into disrepair or dilapidation....

There is a description and photo of simon the tanner on the Images of England website.

My friend also suggested contacting Malcolm Woods at EH, who is the Historic Buildings Advisor who covers Southwark (0207 973 3769 first.last@english-heritage.org.uk)

As it's a pub one could also contact CAMRA, or The London Pubs Group, a guy called Geoff Brandwood.

and another option would be to contact a local civic or historic society to make sure they're aware of the issues.

Hope all this helps

JonR
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 3 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions