London SE1 community website

Simon The Tanner Pub sold again

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 5 of 10
Friday 16 January 2009 1.15pm
Oh, definitely. As long as there's not too much demand, because I think it might take me a while to do one.

And there's always creme egg chicks for Easter. They contain real food.

Anyway, Guinness is food, isn't it?

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 6 October 2009 4.35pm
How long has Simon the Tanner been occupied by squatters?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 6 October 2009 5.24pm
I first noticed the typed, 'official' sign on the door around 6 weeks or so ago. Peeking through the grill, I could see a couple of table lights switched on. It looked quite cosy......
Tuesday 6 October 2009 9.18pm
those bar lights came on sometime late July, around the same time as the "official notice" on the door stating that all valuables had been removed. I wasn't sure if it was squatters or the owners had put people in there to "pub-sit" until formally occupied. I had read this happens in some empty buildings - in fact I think? some owners pay people to occupy and keep buildings safe.

Anyway, late August the flower boxes appeared in the windows so I take it the occupants aren't hiding, and I saw someone leaving through the front door a week or so ago.
Tuesday 6 October 2009 9.53pm
I think the "valuables removed" notice went up a few weeks before I noticed the lights inside. I've seen one (or two?) young-ish guys coming in and out thru the door, sometimes with cycles. The found-object planters are refreshed fairly frequently, so whoever's there seems to be taking care of the place!
Wednesday 7 October 2009 12.14am
Guinness is food. They still give it to mums. Bless.
Wednesday 7 October 2009 8.45am
WHat IS it about S the T? That place seems to have a jinx on it.
Wednesday 7 October 2009 9.08am
This is the second lot of squaters in there-the first lot were removed then the grills and the notices re valubles went up.

I must admit they are doing a hell of a lot more to keep the place looking good and tidy than the people who own it ever have and they are not noisy. I do think the owners are a bit silly to leave all the electric turned on mind you.

they have got planning permission to turn the top half of the building into 3 flats but i guess the credit crunch may have stopped this?
Wednesday 7 October 2009 9.24am
I seem to recall someone telling me that the building needs loads of v expensive underpinning at the back, which might be related to the big trees that are there. I've seen the current residents going in a few times and they're no problem at all.

While we're on the subject of that part of Long Lane, I noticed that the car park plot next door to Simon the Tanner has now been sold, so I presume someone will start building the identikit flats on that site pretty soon.
Friday 13 November 2009 11.04pm
This is still listed on Acorn's site as 600,000 which looks expensive when the Britannia has sadly just been sold for development for a paltry 400,000.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Current: 5 of 10

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions