London SE1 community website

People injecting themselves with drugs in the park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Zoe
Tuesday 29 July 2008 7.05am
I'm also on The Cut, and we think a lot of the problems are caused by Metro House, which the drug users are using to shoot up in. There has also been a general increase in the number of drinkers and drug users in the area generally, and apparently Westminster and The City have both been doing a clear out of their areas, so the drinkers and drug usrs have come here. It has happened before, but not for a while.

We've met with the police, and they were very good, and are going to take action to close down the problem in Metro House. It won't solve the problem, but it might move it away from The Cut for a while, to give us a bit of relief.

The Southwark councillors are aware of these problems and have been really supportive, are you in Southwark or Lambeth?
Tuesday 29 July 2008 8.16am
Zoe wrote:

We've met with the police, and they were very good, and are going to take action to close down the problem in Metro House. It won't solve the problem, but it might move it away from The Cut for a while, to give us a bit of relief.

Not towards Union Street, I hope, where we, too, have noticed human excreta on the street.
Tuesday 29 July 2008 9.13am
Is Metro House the place above Premier Food and Wine?
Tuesday 29 July 2008 12.35pm
How do you know they're injecting illegal drugs?
Maybe it's a social group for scruffy diabetics meeting in the park to inject their insulin.
Zoe
Tuesday 29 July 2008 5.33pm
I too hope not towards Union Street, and we also have a major problem with excrement, both in the block and in the gardens, it's really horrible and I feel very bad for our cleaner.

Metro House is the derelict factory across from Cost Cutter, on Joan Street itself.

The place above premier food and wine is a hostel.
Tuesday 29 July 2008 5.35pm
I'm on Southwark side,Zoe. Of course,it didn't occur to me about the Diabetic on-line outdoor activity club.And now I feel truly appalled for having doubted these unfortunates in health.Maybe their club uniform is the rolled-up trouser leg and baseball cap? Slurred and foul language is obviously obligatory to become a member.Thanks for that,Phoney.Moriarty-no,Metro House is that disused factory on the corner of Joan Street/The Cut,looks like a bomb took a direct hit on it,now being refurbished into something or other.I know just what we need here- more offices !
Tuesday 29 July 2008 6.07pm
'Joan Street - formerly known as Jane Street.' I wonder what the story behind that is?
Zoe
Tuesday 29 July 2008 8.49pm
Metro House is going to be 14 flats, the developer applied in 2000, but Southwark didn't give permission until 2003 (for reasons that are pretty pathetic), and now they are building using that planning permision. We have been rather outraged about it, as you don't expect something agreed 8 years ago to suddenly start on site.
Wednesday 30 July 2008 7.44am
Interesting bit on bbc news page today about drug swoops not working, also some interesting graphs.

Criminal Justic system alone for class A drugs is 4 BILLION ANNUALLY!
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions