London SE1 community website

The London Bridge Experience

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Thursday 31 July 2008 7.02pm
Jon mate - want to buy Tower Bridge? - I here it's on the market again after some Merkan turned down the offer.
Friday 1 August 2008 7.52am
It's actually an urban myth that Robert McCulloch (chainsaw magnate) thought he was getting Tower Bridge, but hey... what of the truth but obscure a good yarn?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2966844
Friday 1 August 2008 9.48pm
Sigh and yawn

Yes, yes, we all live in SE1, and we all know it's an urban myth - thanks for the useful post and pic.
Friday 1 August 2008 10.50pm
My apologies for stating the obvious.
Monday 4 August 2008 11.21am
See today on the SE1 News that both the Dungeon and the Experience are locked in a legal battle, with the Dungeon alleging the Experience is passing itself off as the Dungeon. For my part I reamin totally bemused by the endless queues for these two attractions, but if it now means the Dungeon queue does not go in front of the entrance to the Station so much the better!
Monday 4 August 2008 11.48am
It's rather hard to ascertain from the article whether the London Dungeon have any serious case in law here or whether they're engaging in corporate bullying to try and prevent competition.

It's very typical in most retail and leisure businesses for similar attractions and types of business to cluster together... customers tend to flow between them and tourists like choice. It's more likely that many people, out for the day, will go to both than the Dungeon's customers will be canibalised. Both should benefit and so then should London Bridge's other businesses from the through trade.

Further I've always found the way the Dungeon manages the queues in front of London Bridge on Tooley street to be very professional and competent. It's usually the coach tours milling about before they decide whether they want to queue or go for a walk along the Thames that cause the blockages. Either way I'd rather have the tourist money coming in, creating local jobs, and keeping our local taxes down than not.
Monday 4 August 2008 11.53am
It's just as bizarre as Mme Tussaud's. I work opposite this latter, and the queues snake round the block - four hours' long, sometimes - particularly when it's raining or cold. And the street performers in Covent Garden/on the South Bank. Does London really have so little to offer tourists that these ghastly theme parks are so popular? (I accept that Tussaud's has been around for long enough to be an attraction in its own right; its attractions are, to my mind, few.)
Monday 4 August 2008 3.54pm
Andyintyers wrote:
It's rather hard to ascertain from the article whether the London Dungeon have any serious case in law here or whether they're engaging in corporate bullying to try and prevent competition.
It's very typical in most retail and leisure businesses for similar attractions and types of business to cluster together... customers tend to flow between them and tourists like choice. It's more likely that many people, out for the day, will go to both than the Dungeon's customers will be canibalised. Both should benefit and so then should London Bridge's other businesses from the through trade.

Agreed. Although I think the London Bridge Experience are really tacky copyists, the London Dungeon need to accept that it's just competition. Every other business has to deal with it, so why not them.

Andyintyers wrote:
Further I've always found the way the Dungeon manages the queues in front of London Bridge on Tooley street to be very professional and competent.

However, I couldn't disagree more here! Why do they let the queue block the station entrance and why do London Transport and Network Rail allow them to do it? Try pushing a pram past the London Dungeon on Tooley Street and where it turns into Joiner Street where it's even narrower. Often have walk with it the road to get past. There's plenty of space if the queue went east rather than west; it was changed this way last weekend so the punters queueing for the Dungeon wouldn't hear the loudspeakers from the London Bridge Experience so why not have the queues that way all the time?
Monday 4 August 2008 3.57pm
I guess on the queuing point we've had different experiences. There always seems to be a member of staff on duty controlling the space over the entrance to the station on Tooley street when I've walked that way. I agree though that if it went the other way it would be better.
Monday 4 August 2008 5.25pm
If both were shut down the area would be greatly improved.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions