London SE1 community website

Tate Modern - Members Room

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 12
Thursday 4 December 2003 1.40pm
I'll have to go to Borough Market instead.... doh! too late!
Thursday 4 December 2003 1.45pm
tate membership good...but members room overrated caff

bart
Thursday 4 December 2003 2.06pm
maybe they should charge double for under 14's

gggggrrrrrruuff
Thursday 4 December 2003 2.10pm
yeah... put a sprog tax

also the bigger the push chair the more you pay

I might approach the Tate with a business plan .... pushchairs serviced while you drink you latte and attempt to teach you 6 month baby Business Spanish.

It's not just on Ab Fab....................

You see parents with a 6 month baby and they are trying to teach it to read on the district line!
Thursday 4 December 2003 2.45pm
Though I may expect to be struck down by lightning for suggesting something non-SE1, can I recommend the equivalent room at the Royal Academy ?

Wood panelled, comfy leather sofas, anything you want so long as it is tea, coffee or homemade cakes. Get's a bit crowded around teatime, and the only danger is from...er...the more mature couples seeking to engage you in a lengthy discourse as to the art they assume you have been to see. They inevitably look disappointed when I confess to using it as a refuge from Regent Street.

Although, now I think about it, there was once an incident which threatened to turn ugly when someone tried to jump the queue for lemon cake...umbrellas were drawn and scarves tied more firmly under chins, but sense prevailed in the end.

(and, lest anyone think that I am expressing views offensive to the elderly or art-loving classes, I am adopting TLMJJ's "tongue firmly in cheek" - or TFIC as it will henceforth be referred to.)

Post edited (04 Dec 03 14:46)
Thursday 4 December 2003 7.32pm
Sorry Big Dave,
but my kids genuinely enjoy Borough Market. Plus not many kids there, so adults and stall holders tend to be kind to them. They end up with a surprising number of freebies. Do say hello if you see us.

Not sure about Pizza Hut or Bella Pasta. E numbers etc. Anyway modern London kids turn their noses up. The minimum is Pizza Express , but mine favour the handmade pizzas and pasta in San Genaros on Battersea Park Road. (Its really good in case anyone else is into pizza and usually kid free.)

But to console you, this is the generation that is going to have to spend their lives working in order to finance your pension.
Thursday 4 December 2003 8.14pm
Sarah - the pension sheme scene is shot to hell already, and by the time the toddlers in those buggies grow up to 'earn' there won't BE any pensions.

The kids I see not enjoying Borough Market are those being propelled around in their designer chariots thoroughly bewildered by the crowds around them. Why any couple wants to wheel a double-width buggy thro' that seething mass of foodie humanity and tourists at peak shopping time is beyond my understanding. For the child-free shoppers it aint a treat to be hacked across the shins or achilles by one of those things [the buggy, I mean, not the child] and the kids demonstrably do not appreciate the experience their doting parents are putting them through!

Thinks - how did we get here from 'Tate Modern Members Room'?[which I agree is an over-rated perk of membership there.]
Friday 5 December 2003 8.47am
I havent been to the members lounge for a while and if its being swamped with noisey children then thats a shame as I remember it as being quite a special place because of the relaxed atmostphere.

The market on the otherhand is noisey, colourful and crowded already so should become part of the national curriculum.

I would however ban from both the 'D' list celebs who sometimes hang out giving the place a day-time TV feel.
Friday 5 December 2003 10.49am
I don't mind Borough market, although the bread stalls are always crap. My bread is better. (Did I just admit to baking bread? - Jesus I'm done for now)
Nothing wrong with being D-List. Although Sarah Greene does have a restraining order on me!
Friday 5 December 2003 11.04am
Re the Tate - has anyone else had the experience of them making a complete cods of the membership process? Last year I was given 2 differently dated cards, but they stopped sending the magazines I used to so ostentatiously display on my coffee table. Then they claimed not to have had my d/debit details. I've noticed my membership has just expired and no attempt has been made to remind me.

It could be personal, I suppose....
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 2 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions