London SE1 community website

Tate Modern - Members Room

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 12
Friday 5 December 2003 11.08am
I thought about renewing my membership but I couldn't afford the three wheel buggy with heavy track tyres.
Friday 5 December 2003 12.00pm
Jane

I think that their membership department was being staffed by people rejected by Lambeth housing benefits for incompetence. It had taken me three attempts to get them to process my renewal the previous year.

[Brian Sewell like tweedy harumph]
My other reason for dropping my membership (as well as lack of space in the Bankside members room) was that I refused to give the new Tate magazine coffee table space once Conde Nast took over the publishing and it became full of fashion adverts and indistinguishable from any other style magazine.
[/Brian Sewell like tweedy harumph]

Post edited (10 Dec 03 17:15)
Friday 5 December 2003 1.10pm
Comforting to know I haven't missed anything over the last year. The benefit has been that my coffee table has remained achingly minimalist and bare - or have I missed that style boat as well? Should the debate now move to whether or not to have a coffee table at all? questions, always questions.
[sorry, it IS Friday and my brain cell is starting to shutdown......]
Friday 5 December 2003 1.19pm
Lang Rabbie - did you see the news in August that Tate have terminated their contract with Condé Nast and are bringing the magazine in-house?

http://quicklink.se1direct.co.uk/?id=487
(as reported in SE1 Direct)
Friday 5 December 2003 1.48pm
Coffee tables are next season's "no no" I believe. And please don't ask me who decides these things - I just read the magazines!

I'm off to the skip now...
Wednesday 10 December 2003 9.37am
All I can say in response to this long conversation on the subject of untidy kids messing up your precious downtime is that I really hope that if and when any of you ever have children of your own your words come back to haunt you as you sit in Pizza Hut munching on a piece of cardboard pizza and downing a glass of flat Coca Cola. What is it with the British and children? What a selfish and intolerant bunch you are!

If you want somewhere quiet to sit, why single out children for disturbing your peace and quiet? If it comes to noise and irritation, people using mobile phones or having loud pretentious conversations are far more irritating than children could ever be.
Wednesday 10 December 2003 9.53am
Unfortunately pretentious conversation if beyond my capacity but I would not take my mobile phone to the Uber cafe and nor would I take my kids. I wouldnt takle my beer-swilling mates and I wouldnt take my dog-friends. I'd take the phone to work, my mates to a pub, my kids to the market and my dog-friends to the park. Leaving those people who wanted to experience a tranquil, relaxed atmostphere to do so in relative peace.

gggggrrrrrruuff
Wednesday 10 December 2003 10.40am
ooohhh Jane, I don't think it's the children throwing their toys out of the pram here is it darling?
Wednesday 10 December 2003 10.47am
No matter how much you try and tell yourself differently, the Tate Members Room is not a place to take kids. There's no more to it. It's an adult environment designed to give members a bit of tranquil peace from the rest of the gallery and central london.

When I said pizza hut etc, i had my tongue firmly in my cheek. Us northerners call it humour, wit and the like.

Can't parents take their kids to somewhere that makes provision for them? There are plenty and it just requires a little imagination to find them.

As for people talking on mobiles, that's another argument altogether. As for pretentious conversations.... isn't that indicative of the types of places you frequent? and, might I suggest, that taking your kids to the Tate members room puts you in exactly that catergory.
Jai
Wednesday 10 December 2003 11.08am
let's be honest...

paying thruppence in membership fees is hardly going to get you something exclusive and quiet.

sounds to me like those people bringing the kids have every right to do so... and those kids have every right to cause havoc, for having been dragged to such a soulless and dull place.

Varkenslachter
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions