London SE1 community website

Tate Modern - Members Room

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 12
Wednesday 10 December 2003 11.42am
It's not a question of exclusivity, or paying for quiet. What i am saying is why take kids, especiall pre-school kids and babies there?
It's pointless. Not just in the members room but in the galleries, three wheelers and papooses and screaming little ones... there is no need for it. It's like normally sensible people lose all sense of reality by taking small children to these places.
Wednesday 10 December 2003 1.17pm
Of course parent's have "a right to do so" but lets step away from the patronising People's Charters set up under John Major. Let's have all users of the room consider the impact that their actions will have on other people and where appropiate choose an alternative course. From the other postings its clear I'm not alone in thinking some people think having kids is an excuse for anti-social behaviour.
Wednesday 10 December 2003 3.15pm
I'm still waiting for one of you members to invite me and my kids. Sounds like the sort of atmosphere they would enjoy. And if someone gives me one of the coffee tables they are about throw out, I can nab a magazine to put on it, and try out some of that SE1 sophisticated living.

Big Dave?
Wednesday 10 December 2003 3.20pm
I let my membership lapse - too many Rusks can make you sick. I just go to a greasy spoon now, plenty of fag smoke and a cup of Mellow Birds.... keeping it real

feel free to join me Sarah
Wednesday 12 May 2010 8.59pm
Revived for the benefit of the bearded Mrs Ivanhoe.
Monday 17 May 2010 5.42pm
Entertaining thread. I somehow missed this one first time round. How is the members room these days? I too am an ex-Tater due to the overcrowded nature of the place as was. Has it improved or just gotten worse? Where does one go for a chilled out vibe these days?
Monday 17 May 2010 6.10pm
Tolstoy wrote:
Where does one go for a chilled out vibe these days?

I'm a fan of the Southbank members bar. Amazing views, and no children in sight (not against them in general, but surely not in a bar!). They've even introduced a rule about no laptop use beyond 6-ish, as it was turning into an office. And if you're lucky you can hear the concerts, albeit muffled.

They also hold other events (the wine tasting is very interesting, and also an economical way to get absolutely sloshed!) so i woule really recommend it, for what that's worth.

ds :O)
Monday 17 May 2010 10.47pm
Thanks for the update on the Southbank Members Room, it was turning into a extension of a Uni library with all the Lap Tops and chatter at times over the past year or so. A lovely place to study though.

Such lovely views and a great place to chill out and access to The Hayward Gallery too.

I'm an ex-'Tater' too and loved the Member's Room at the Tate Modern until it became uncomfortably full at times.
Its great to see these places so popular, I recently looked at renewing my Membership at The Tate but the cost made me think again.
My family bought me a Membership of a Museum for Christmas, great value and well used!
TAK
Tuesday 18 May 2010 2.36am
I too am an ex-tate member.
It's just too expensive. I wish they had some sort of discount for local residents...

Saying that one great discovery (naturally through this very website) is the Community Film Club at Tate Modern on first Monday evenings of the month - I hope it'll continue for a long time.

Thanks again se1forum!
Tuesday 18 May 2010 11.11am
Tate Britain does have a residents discount, as do the Globe, the Old Operating Theatre, the London Dungeon and the Clink.

http://www.rescard.com/smartsave-article/Museums/287

Just not for residents of SE1.

Apparently, Southwark Council is too busy not regenerating the Elephant and Castle to organise something similar here.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions