London SE1 community website

Tate Modern - Members Room

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 12
Tuesday 12 October 2010 3.40pm
Hear hear Jackie!

The point for me is being around a range of people and teaching my children to behave appropriately in that environment as well as the learning/cultural aspect - just because we're parents with children means that we only want to hang out with other parents and children.

The main problem with the Tate Members Room is that it is just far too busy, particularly at weekends and all sense of relaxation is lost when you head there wondering whether you will get in, whether you'll find a seat and if you do, you are then surrounded by a sea of anxious faces also looking for seats.
Thursday 21 October 2010 1.39pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Bungle wrote:
The Tate Members' Room is not supposed to be a parents' social club, it's supposed to be an area for members to relax in after visiting an exhibition or viewing the galleries.

Do me a favour, and find me the bit where it says that, would you? It doesn't say that in any of the membership info that I've seen. Or is it possible that you've got your own dreamworld mixed up with the real world?
It doesn't say you shouldn't take a dump on the floor either.
Thursday 21 October 2010 5.50pm
Bungle wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
Bungle wrote:
The Tate Members' Room is not supposed to be a parents' social club, it's supposed to be an area for members to relax in after visiting an exhibition or viewing the galleries.

Do me a favour, and find me the bit where it says that, would you? It doesn't say that in any of the membership info that I've seen. Or is it possible that you've got your own dreamworld mixed up with the real world?

And have you seen anyone take a dump on the floor there? Didn't think so.
Thursday 21 October 2010 8.23pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Bungle wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
Bungle wrote:

Exactly. There are some things people shouldn't have to be told not to do. It should be obvious.
Thursday 21 October 2010 9.09pm
Obvious? Hilarious.
Thursday 21 October 2010 9.46pm
Bungle wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Bungle wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
Bungle wrote:

Exactly. There are some things people shouldn't have to be told not to do. It should be obvious.

Yep, because it's a fine line between taking children to a member's room and taking a dump on the floor in your world, right? Jeez.
Thursday 21 October 2010 10.41pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Bungle wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Bungle wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
Bungle wrote:

Yep, because it's a fine line between taking children to a member's room and taking a dump on the floor in your world, right? Jeez.
Actually you'd win The Turner Prize.
Thursday 21 October 2010 10.56pm
markadams99 wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Bungle wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Bungle wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
Bungle wrote:

Actually you'd win The Turner Prize.
Tate aficionados may recognize the Frank Stella aesthetic in this thread:
Friday 22 October 2010 7.52am
Gosh this is really super...not being any kind of techno-whiz I'm terribly impressed. Meantime...I think the point emmab makes re getting children to BEHAVE is all important. No child HAS to be disruptive and no child needs to be indulged in being a pain to other people...if there's a child wreking havoc, he/she should simply be taken outside. Otherwise, I reiterate that taking children from early on to galleries instills a habit for a lifetime...and gets them away from the bloody telly!
Friday 22 October 2010 9.36am
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Bungle wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Bungle wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
Bungle wrote:

Did I say it was a fine line? No! I was just using it as an example as something people know not to do.

You may think you have a god-given right to take your screaming brats where ever you like, but you don't. Why don't you show some respect for other members by not abusing the Members' Room by turning it into (as the OP put it) "Satan's crèche".
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 6 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions