London SE1 community website

Tate Modern - Members Room

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 7 of 12
Friday 22 October 2010 11.35am
Seems to me that there's two points being made here. Some people believe that the members' room's not a an appropriate place for kids at all, and others just want people to make sure that kids behave appropriately when they're there - ie, that parents recognise that it's primarily an adult space from which kids should be removed at once if they're noisy/badly behaved.

Personally, I'm with emmab and jackie. I haven't got kids myself but I've no problem with their presence. As long as they - and their buggies/toys/feeding processes - don't intrude on the rest of us. Which, unfortunately, they frequently do.
Friday 22 October 2010 12.58pm
Bungle: I completely agree that "screaming brats" should be removed from the TMMR, just as they should be removed from the restaurant where I'm, paying to have dinner in peace, or the supermarket where I'm shopping or indeed any other public space, and taken to where they can either calm down, or scream without piercing everyone's ears. But not all children are screaming brats, some of them are well behaved and no intrusion at all...so let's keep a sense of proportion here.
Friday 22 October 2010 2.54pm
Let's be honest, the last place very young children want to be is in an art gallery, and they certainly don't want to be stuck in the Members' Room with absolutely nothing to entertain them, while mummy gossips with her friend. The only reason they are there is because their parent(s) want to go and so drag little Timmy along with them.
Friday 22 October 2010 4.01pm
Sounds as though you dont have any children...
Friday 22 October 2010 6.03pm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Friday 22 October 2010 6.53pm
How nasty.
Friday 22 October 2010 8.07pm
"Any man who hates dogs and small children can't be all bad"
Friday 22 October 2010 9.20pm
Bungle wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Bungle wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Bungle wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
Bungle wrote:
The Tate Members' Room is not supposed to be a parents' social club, it's supposed to be an area for members to relax in after visiting an exhibition or viewing the galleries.

Do me a favour, and find me the bit where it says that, would you? It doesn't say that in any of the membership info that I've seen. Or is it possible that you've got your own dreamworld mixed up with the real world?
It doesn't say you shouldn't take a dump on the floor either.

And have you seen anyone take a dump on the floor there? Didn't think so.
Exactly. There are some things people shouldn't have to be told not to do. It should be obvious.

Yep, because it's a fine line between taking children to a member's room and taking a dump on the floor in your world, right? Jeez.
Did I say it was a fine line? No! I was just using it as an example as something people know not to do.

You may think you have a god-given right to take your screaming brats where ever you like, but you don't. Why don't you show some respect for other members by not abusing the Members' Room by turning it into (as the OP put it) "Satan's crèche".
Mmm. I am not a member, I've never been to the Member's Room, nor do I have screaming brats, but my beautiful children have often been to the Tate to enjoy exhibitions. That's what the Tate is there for. Not to accomodate grumpy curmudgeons who think they have a god-given right to monopolise places designed for the public, what ever age group they belong to.
Friday 22 October 2010 10.11pm
Presumably Nigel and Bungle are the same nasty, grumpy old men. Maybe the members room could keep the kids and just remove the child haters?
Friday 22 October 2010 11.30pm
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Bungle wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Bungle wrote:
eDWaRD WooDWaRD wrote:
Bungle wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:
Bungle wrote:
The Tate Members' Room is not supposed to be a parents' social club, it's supposed to be an area for members to relax in after visiting an exhibition or viewing the galleries.

Do me a favour, and find me the bit where it says that, would you? It doesn't say that in any of the membership info that I've seen. Or is it possible that you've got your own dreamworld mixed up with the real world?
It doesn't say you shouldn't take a dump on the floor either.

And have you seen anyone take a dump on the floor there? Didn't think so.
Exactly. There are some things people shouldn't have to be told not to do. It should be obvious.

Yep, because it's a fine line between taking children to a member's room and taking a dump on the floor in your world, right? Jeez.
Did I say it was a fine line? No! I was just using it as an example as something people know not to do.

You may think you have a god-given right to take your screaming brats where ever you like, but you don't. Why don't you show some respect for other members by not abusing the Members' Room by turning it into (as the OP put it) "Satan's crèche".
Mmm. I am not a member, I've never been to the Member's Room, nor do I have screaming brats, but my beautiful children have often been to the Tate to enjoy exhibitions. That's what the Tate is there for. Not to accomodate grumpy curmudgeons who think they have a god-given right to monopolise places designed for the public, what ever age group they belong to.
But that's the point. The Members' Room is not designed for "the public", it's designed for members to relax away from the general public in the galleries.

As for the main galleries, what is the point of taking a baby or toddler to an art gallery? They are not old enough to get anything out of being there, and they will only annoy everyone else when they (and they will) start crying.

How old are your children? If they're old enough to tell you that they enjoyed a visit to Tate they're probably not in the age group this thread is concerned with.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 7 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions