London SE1 community website

Tate Modern - Members Room

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 8 of 12
Friday 22 October 2010 11.42pm
absolutely hilarious..Anybody else with a sense of humour bypass.I was debunking this whole thread because the main objector to kids here is called bungle a character from a 1970's kids show ..anybody else miss the irony
Saturday 23 October 2010 12.02am
nigel wrote:
abecause the main objector to kids here
I take it you haven't read the OP and the first few posts of this thread.....

As for my username, I chose it when I first got the internet because I am **** at making up names and it was the only thing I could think of.
Saturday 23 October 2010 12.09am
yawn
Saturday 23 October 2010 8.43pm
aoibhneas wrote:
Personally, I haven't got kids myself but I've no problem with their presence. As long as they - and their buggies/toys/feeding processes - don't intrude on the rest of us. Which, unfortunately, they frequently do.
Yes. They're almost as bad as those disablers with their wheelchairs. Why doesn't the government put them all in a home somewhere, out of the way of normal people?

I really can't believe the sheer hatred of children I'm seeing here.

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 24 October 2010 1.47pm
It's not a hatred of children (at least not on my part!) , its just a conflict in what people feel the room is for. Personally I want a quiet place where I can get a coffee / lunch with queuing, somewhere where I can have a relaxing time on my own or with a friend. I love kids, but with LOTS of them in a fairly small members room it's no longer a restful place to go and I have now given up my membership and use the public cafes instead!
Sunday 24 October 2010 2.42pm
williamn wrote:
It's not a hatred of children (at least not on my part!) , its just a conflict in what people feel the room is for. Personally I want ......
So why not complain that the Members' Room is too small for ALL members (and guests), rather than pick on children?
I tend not to go to the MR on weekends, either with or without child. It's too crowded. However, it seems to me that the main people spending time & money in there on weekdays are parents and children.

Sunday 24 October 2010 4.09pm
Bungle wrote:
Let's be honest, the last place very young children want to be is in an art gallery
Oh WOW!! So children don't like colours and patterns. Imagine the fortune you'll make with your series of grey childrens' books. Not to mention the follow up nursery wallpaper.
You'd better do Tate a favour and tell them they're wasting their time with their hugely popular childrens' programme, while you're at it.

Sunday 24 October 2010 5.13pm
I can understand where Bungle is coming from and have certainly had to endure the little ones on occasion and found myself wondering about the parenting skills of the big ones. An art gallery is certainly a challenge for Timmy and Tammy but let's not forget that many artists have sought to re-capture the innocence and naive wonder of the world as seen through the eyes of children. It's true I too have given up on the members room as it has since taken on the ambience of a creche and found myself always slipping into panic mode over for my coffee as yet another body lurched towards the table but hey... don't blame the kids.
Sunday 24 October 2010 5.19pm
Spot on Tolstoy! I blame the parents...about pretty much everything!
Sunday 24 October 2010 5.45pm
How many people fit comfortably in the Members' Room?

How many memberships do you think Tate should sell before they refuse potential members' cash? How much do you want membership to cost?

To which ethnic groups, age ranges, sexes, income brackets, etc do you want to restrict membership?

Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 8 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions