London SE1 community website

Tate Modern - Members Room

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 9 of 12
Sunday 24 October 2010 10.55pm
Ivanhoe - I 'pick' on children as they tend to run around and make noise. Thats why. Like I said, that conflicts with what I want from a members room. I'm not saying thats wrong or right, its just a clash of what people want from the room. In an ideal world they would have a family friendly room, maybe with activities and games for kids, as well as normal one. Indeed I think this is the plan when Tate 2 opens.
Monday 25 October 2010 12.10am
Ivanhoe wrote:
Bungle wrote:
Let's be honest, the last place very young children want to be is in an art gallery
Oh WOW!! So children don't like colours and patterns. Imagine the fortune you'll make with your series of grey childrens' books. Not to mention the follow up nursery wallpaper.
You'd better do Tate a favour and tell them they're wasting their time with their hugely popular childrens' programme, while you're at it.

Years ago I took my then 4 or 5 year old son to a Philip Guston exhibition. I had planned to go alone but due to circumstances this had become impossible, so off we went. My son, very much at the screaming brat/running around age, absorbed the exhibition and when we came home imitated some of the "man smoking in bed" drawings. These days, he draws designs for cars, buildings and has created illustrations for his own stories. He is still quite young but has a definite taste in artists, and he loves Rothko and Hieronimus Bosch (yes, we watched the recent documentary). He is a boy who, like many boys, loves football, can be loud and gross, but I'll take him to the Tate any time he wants.
Monday 25 October 2010 8.07am
williamn wrote:
Ivanhoe - I 'pick' on children as they tend to run around and make noise. Thats why. Like I said, that conflicts with what I want from a members room. I'm not saying thats wrong or right, its just a clash of what people want from the room. In an ideal world they would have a family friendly room, maybe with activities and games for kids, as well as normal one. Indeed I think this is the plan when Tate 2 opens.

Who's the child here?

I thought that part of growing up was realising that you have to share.

""I want" doesn't get."

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 25 October 2010 11.26am
Bungle wrote:
As for the main galleries, what is the point of taking a baby or toddler to an art gallery? They are not old enough to get anything out of being there, and they will only annoy everyone else when they (and they will) start crying.

How old are your children? If they're old enough to tell you that they enjoyed a visit to Tate they're probably not in the age group this thread is concerned with.

Well.. There were certainly plenty of young children enjoying this exhibition:

http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/exhibitions/carstenholler/default.shtm

My daughter wasn't born until June of that year. She's a toddler now and (having gone down many a slide) can certainly appreciate "the state of simultaneous delight and anxiety that you enter as you descend."

It doesn't matter whether they can articulate their enjoyment or not.
Monday 25 October 2010 4.17pm
It's more about their impact on the member's room than the galleries and how they can best be served in an essentially adult environment without causing too much disruption. Would I not be right in thinking that many so called private members clubs outright ban children? Is this what people want? Desirable even? As William suggests, a family room would make more sense for those of us not blessed with the little darlings and their ways.
Monday 25 October 2010 4.46pm
Why is it "essentially an adult environment", Tolstoy?

Is this because you're keen to parallel it to "private members' clubs"?

I'd hazard a guess that the main problem that people here are having is that they somehow are kidding themselves that their 77 a year (the price of membership for yourself and a guest) is NOT a payment principally to support a fantastic gallery, and/or to give them free entry to loads of exhibitions, but is in fact a cheap way to pretend that they're in some sort of swanky private club.

A) This is clearly cobblers. Your 1.48/week isn't enough to cover that.

B) I pay the same 77 a year as you do. If I want to take my child along as a guest, rather than an adult I'm trying to impress with my artiness and exclusivity on the cheap, then I can't see why I shouldn't be allowed to do it.

Is my membership somehow worth less than yours, or should it convey fewer benefits than yours, because I've got a child? I'd happily take a discount on my membership if that's what you're proposing, but I suspect it isn't.

If what you want really IS a private members' club with a restricted number of members, situated within the Tate, then I'm sure the Tate might put a room aside for your benefit. It could raise them a lot of money. Joining fees would, I imagine, be similar to those of any other private clubs in Central London (which, I suspect, are significantly more than 77/year for two people).

Monday 25 October 2010 6.26pm
I'd base my observation on it being in essence an adult environment on the fact it lacks any facilities to keep children occupied or indeed cater for them in any form. I've since stopped going but in my time there was no childrens menu or 'soft' areas, perhaps this has changed? In truth I'm fairly neutral on the question in general as I'm rather inclined to enjoy the havoc they create and am more interested in seeing how the parents react to it. But as I say, I can understand the irritation caused for many who choose, for whatever reason, not to have kids of their own and are merely seeking a quiet coffee and cake whilst pondering the aesthetic narrative and politics within the galleries themselves.

My guess is this is a circle not to be squared and chaos shall reign; but evidently it is an issue for some/many (choose your bias) and should be noted by Tate management.
Monday 25 October 2010 6.47pm
It really WOULD be interesting to have some input from the Tate Mod. on this whole story..
Monday 25 October 2010 11.47pm
From what I understand from friends who work at Tate, this has been recognised as a problem.

'I want' tends to go with what makes money and Tate are aware that lots of members want a quiet environment from a members room. I don't see why this is controversial.

Often "I want" does get - as that's where the money is if enough people want the same thing...
Tuesday 26 October 2010 7.09am
Tolstoy wrote:
I'd base my observation on it being in essence an adult environment on the fact it lacks any facilities to keep children occupied or indeed cater for them in any form. I've since stopped going but in my time there was no childrens menu or 'soft' areas, perhaps this has changed?.
Tosh, I'm afraid. Children require neither. They're not a different species.

Pages:  PreviousFirst...2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next
Current: 9 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions