London SE1 community website

Removal firm

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 12 August 2008 9.31pm
Does anybody know any good removal companies? I'm looking for:

1. About 7 hours work on a Friday
2. Preferably to pay a fixed price so that I don't feel the work is being dragged out for no reason
3. Somebody/firm with a large enough van to fit a considerable number of boxes (around 50) and a sofa and other pieces of furniture.
4. I think it will need two people to remove everything.
5. A firm willing to pick up a small number of goods from a storage facility on the North Circular to then carry those goods up the stairs and unpack them at a house in Barnet. I would then need a large amount of goods removed from Barnet to a house in South London.

Would be grateful for recommendations (or somebody willing to do it), but really would like to have a fixed price as can't be sure how long it will all take! Also, could people advise what they would regard as a fair price for the work described above as I do not want to pay above the odds?
Tuesday 12 August 2008 9.44pm
Give Graham Neale a ring. His web site is www.bigvan.com
Tuesday 12 August 2008 10.50pm
Have had a quick look at his website, but he appears to charge an hourly rate, and I'd really prefer a one off charge. Is he somebody who'd be prepared to come to an agreement? Have you used him?
Wednesday 13 August 2008 8.43am
I moved last year and went straight to the top - Pickfords. They really couldn't have been any more helpful, the guys who did the unloading looked like it was the happiest day of their lives, and it was on a fixed price which wasn't that expensive considering how efficient they were.
Wednesday 13 August 2008 2.04pm
Just to say that I have no connection with Pickfords. Other removals firms may also be available etc...
Thursday 14 August 2008 9.31am
I used Graham, and even though he charges an hourly rate, he gives you a good estimate upfront (and in my case managed to do it for less) and these guys don't stop. I even had to force them to stop for a cup of tea....

(no other connection)
Friday 15 August 2008 6.20pm
So, how did it go?

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions