London SE1 community website

Mexican grocery?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Monday 15 September 2008 3.37pm
Interesting read and speaking from experience, namely my wife being Mexican, having lived in Mexico and investigated nigh on all Mexican eateries in London, the real deal from Mexican point of view is www.mestizomx.com near Warren Street tube. All staff are Mexican and food is excellent, if a little pricey. Wahaca is okay, and when we went don't think there we saw a single Mexican either working or eating there. Food however is valid attempt to re-create authentic Mexican flavours, and bravo for trying however experience feels like eating in Mexican version of Wagamama et al.

Website popular with mexicans based in UK is www.mexgrocer.co.uk, which is linked to a US site and run by Mexicans. Perhaps not as strong on chiles as coolchile however hits the spot for mexican sweets, drinks etc.

Last remaining free-standing Mexican shop, located initially at E&C and laterly in Victoria has now closed due to incresed rental costs, which is shame. Shops around Old Kent Road are on the whole Bolivian, Ecuadorian, Colombian and Peruvian. Sol Andino is good general store however does not have anything particulary Mexican.

Cheers
Wednesday 8 October 2008 3.10pm
Good news for Mexican food fans in the TBR area. Fine Life Shopper has a few items grouped together in the middle of the store, on one of the endcaps, including bags of plain Tortilla chips. The woman at the register thought I was nuts when I ran up with an armful of them.
Sunday 11 July 2010 6.25pm
Mestizo are now the owners of mexgrocer.co.uk and you can buy in their restaurant and online too!
Tuesday 13 July 2010 5.06pm
Having moved here 5 years ago from Colorado, I have faced a similar unsatiated craving. We buy most of our canned/ bottled items in the states and bring it back in our suitcases!

For amazing, authentic Mexican food (not tex-mex) you should check out Boho Mexica on Commercial Street near the Old Truman Brewery. They have amazing tacos and corn bread!

For at home cooking we bought a Tortilla press from the states and although we don't make chips, we always make our own tortillas for tacos and soups. Much more affordable than purchasing them. (Turns out the Tortilla press was not actually much more expensive to buy here.)

Also, you are probably aware that Chipotle has opened up near Charing Cross and there are a number of other burritos joints such as Chilango (personal favourite), Daddy Donkey, Tortilla , to name a few.

Let me know how the Old Kent Road trip is... perhaps I will check it out soon.

Enjoy
Tuesday 20 July 2010 9.19pm
Hi I am Mexican and I run a family business a proper Mexican Restaurant www.mestizomx.com and I recently bought a Mexican grocerie on-line shop www.mexgrocer.co.uk try it, if you know about Mexican food you will understand what I am taking about

Best Regards

Katya Torres
Wednesday 21 July 2010 4.37pm
Interesting thread -- another good Mexican fast food place is Wrap it up! ( http://www.wrapitup.co.uk/ ) who have branches on Bishopsgate and Broadgate Circle EC2 and Villiers Street WC2. They will hopefully be opening in SE1 and around the city shortly.

(Disclosure: I am an investor in Wrap it up!).
Tuesday 27 July 2010 6.13am
Back to the original Tortilla Chips question. I know it is an odd one but the best ones I have found are in bulk out at Costco. From CA myself and have the craving as well from time to time. I they are the closest I have found without making them myself (white and yellow corn mix).

For me it was Kirkland to the rescue. (odd I know).

PS. It is the only place you can get Red Vines. (my other addiction).
Sunday 26 September 2010 9.11am
I can't help with grocery but I am super happy to have come across a seriously good Mexican food stall in the School Yard section of Broadway Market. It is essentially a taco stand selling taco's and flautas (with a promise of Tomales at Christmas!). It's called Tomatu and the food is amazing and the owner cooks with actual corn Tortilla s! So refreshing after a string of disappointments at other Mexican eateries.

P.S. Yes the Cool Chile Co is great!!
Sunday 29 January 2012 3.09pm
I know it's been quite a while since anyone posted but I thought I would say thanks for the info on mexican grocers. I haven't checked out Borough market or Broadway market but I did cycle over to Sol Andino near Elephant & Castle on the Old Kent Rd - what a great little shop! Got a big bag of morita chillis and have made some very tasty food as a result - they had various dried chills as well as canned chipotles in adobo sauce - all the things that seem to be impossible to get in Sainsbury's and all the other everyday supermarkets. After days of scouring the internet looking for where to get chipotles etc... Result!
Sunday 29 January 2012 3.20pm
They're getting better...
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions