London SE1 community website

Overkill?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Sunday 14 September 2008 6.45pm
I think that's why they have all the ads all over the place for "Bankside Mix". Whatever that means.

They're probably trying to pull the tourist crowd. Worked today with the Great South Bank Festival of Shopping, but I think they're a little too far from the river. Maybe with the Tate extension a few more people will walk round the back and discover these places. Agree that they have very little to do with the community.
Monday 15 September 2008 6.26am
My main point really is, if this represents a good example of market forces at work then no wonder we have a destabilized global situation. A baren wasteland of homogenisation that takes no account of its local environment, strikes me as a system vastly lacking in flexibility and evidently a model in need of new ideas.
Monday 15 September 2008 8.46am
I really like to go to Leon on a Sunday afternoon, read the papers, have a snack and a beer, and then walk along the river.

It's generally about half full at that time, which, I suspect, is making enough money to cover the small number of staff involved, as well as the rent (which I would expect to be fairly low in these days and in that location).

I do struggle to see how, for example, Tsuru copes, given that it's not open evenings or weekends, though.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 15 September 2008 9.07am
I've tried to have lunch at Tsuru three times, and haven't been able to get in on any of these occasions. Perhaps they take enough at lunch to make a go of things.
Monday 15 September 2008 9.19am
longlaner wrote:
I've tried to have lunch at Tsuru three times, and haven't been able to get in on any of these occasions. Perhaps they take enough at lunch to make a go of things.
Wow! Perhaps it IS possible to take enough in a lunchtime to keep in business.

Wednesday 17 September 2008 4.03pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
longlaner wrote:
Wow! Perhaps it IS possible to take enough in a lunchtime to keep in business.

Every sandwich shop in the square mile depends on it :)
Sunday 22 March 2009 12.01pm
Coming back to this thread, is it now likely that RSB will be moving into 123? I see they have their logo covered in paper above one of the entrance windows. I'm guessing the work going on there at the moment is related to simply fitting out a generic office environment.
Sunday 22 March 2009 7.06pm
You've got to factor in lease prices at least as much as turnover.

For a new site, that you can only expect to be busy at lunchtimes, for some time at least, no business would take the lease without low rates and/or a big rent-free period or premium.

Think about it from the developer's POV. They need the food outlets to get the office tenants in. Offices will make the development pay. Offices typically don't take ground floor spaces (so the payback on those spaces has to be less, so lower rents for food outlets).

You can see there's plenty of spare retail space atm, so a prospective tenant has a good hand to play in today's market (although I grant you the leases of the places you're talking about were probably signed some time ago).

Tuesday 24 March 2009 6.40am
Point taken Ivanhoe, I'm just wondering how it's going to look to the public when/if RBS move. I can see the headlines now 'Royal Bank of Scotland move to swanky new offices on the Southbank.' Not the kind of publicity they'd which to be courting I'd think.
Wednesday 25 March 2009 1.48pm
The confirmed dates for the RBS move are mid May through to end of July this year, split across Bankside 2 & 3. Additionally, the people moving to Bankside are IT and support staff (not necessarily "overpaid bankers" referred to in previous posts)

As far as I know, the lease was signed well before the current economic downturn, so while "RBS fat cats move to luxury new offices" may generate fresh rage-inducing headlines int he media, RBS are contractually obliged to move. Hell, the move may even boost small businesses int he area - I know Angel will suffer with this relocation...
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions