London SE1 community website

Tesco coming to the Walworth Road?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Tuesday 23 September 2008 3.37pm
W.......impy
W.......aitrose?
W.......hy let facts or common sense get in the way of rabid speculation?

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 23 September 2008 7.25pm
Is one suggesting one has no common sense for merely asking a question?
Tuesday 23 September 2008 7.26pm
Wagamamma??????????
Wednesday 24 September 2008 9.49am
Waterstones?
Weatherspoons?
Wendy's?
Wednesday 24 September 2008 10.10am
applegarthgal wrote:
Is one suggesting one has no common sense for merely asking a question?
No. Not at all. Apologies if it came across that way.

There's a long history of SE1 forum threads along the lines of "Oh, if only there was a Waitrose in SE1, my life would be complete", and rumours (happily flying in the face of all known facts) that every new development is set to be a Waitrose. I was referring to that venerable tradition. Sorry if it looked like I was calling you names.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 24 September 2008 1.14pm
There is now also a licensing application in for Tesco in Walworth Road

http://licensing.southwarksites.com/LicPremisesAppliedDetails.asp?systemkey=828357

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 27 September 2008 9.36pm
No worries, Ivanhoe and no offence taken. Us gals of Applegarth are not that easily upset!

I just wondered about the Wimpy because I had heard that it was going to be turned into yet another Starbucks ... anyway, isn't Walworth Road SE17?!
Sunday 28 September 2008 10.19pm
Tesco's have also put in an application for another small format store on Southampton Way, not far from Walworth Rd....

http://planningonline.southwarksites.com/planningonline2/AcolNetCGI.exe?ACTION=UNWRAP&RIPNAME=Root.PgeResultDetail&TheSystemkey=9529686
Monday 29 September 2008 6.26am
Yes applegarthgal, Walworth Road is SE17 but we very generously allow the SE17 ers to chime in here. It's tough, but we do it in the name of diversity, love-thy-neighbour and so on. And personally, what would I do without East Street Market and Lidls? We're also VERY kind to SE11 guys too...
Wednesday 19 November 2008 10.58pm
The fit-out looks almost complete and the shop looks very smart, for Walworth Road. Understandably the folks in the off-licence opposite are very worried about how it will affect business. Although I am not a fan of Tesco, I am looking forward to having somewhere within walking distance to buy fresh food on a Sunday after 5 or midweek after 10. For non-perishables the independent shops between my flat and the new Tesco are actually quite competitively priced and very good for herbs and spices so they will continue to get my customer when I need just one or two bits, milk or a chocolate fix.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions