London SE1 community website

WW2 bombsites near Bricklayers Arms

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2
Saturday 7 May 2011 9.00am
Hi,
I have relatives who died in a bomb raid at 145 Walworth Road in Dec 1940. Does the book you have give any details of the casualties?
Regards
JM Lakewood
Saturday 7 May 2011 3.42pm
Christ, talk about making you feel old!
I can remember burning my fingers picking up bits of shrapnel and other metal fragments which my three or four year old brain convinced me were bullet pieces from aerial gunners while I was being taken to kindergarten by my old mum before she went to her shift in a munitions factory.
Hope that the German word kindergarten for infants school is not considered traitorous to anyone, we are all friends again now!
Bomb sites were a thing of wonder to us kids in the post war years, you could imagine you were on the moon, up Mount Everest, or invading Germany with a cap gun!
Monday 9 May 2011 8.24pm
JM

A high explosive bomb hit Wansey Street at 00.40am on 9 December 1940. This was a particularly heavy raid across London carried out by units of Luftflotte 3. Badly hit districts included Marylebone, Westminster, Southwark, Lambeth, Finsbury, Battersea, Wandsworth, Camberwell, Stepney amongst others including outer London Boroughs.

137-147 Walworth Road were destroyed and nos 1,3 and 5 Wansey Street were gutted.

Casualties I have found at 145 Walworth Rosd are-Edward Stanley BROWN, Jospehine CUMMINS, Lilian Josephine CUMMINS, Rita Daisy Constance MEERLOO and Jacob MEERLOO.

Hope this helps
Pages:  Previous1 2
Current: 2 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..
February at a glance
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions