London SE1 community website

If you were only allowed to drink in 1 pub in SE1, which would it be?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6
jw
Saturday 27 September 2008 7.40am
Where is the Brittania?
Saturday 27 September 2008 10.16am
The Britannia is on Kipling St and very nice too, shame it isn't open at weekends.
Saturday 27 September 2008 9.29pm
Is the Angel SE1

No, the Angel is North of the river... SE1 is Waterloo, Blackfriars, parts of Bermondsey etc.

Anyone rate The Nelson by any chance?
Saturday 27 September 2008 10.42pm
applegarthgal wrote:
Is the Angel SE1
No, the Angel is North of the river... SE1 is Waterloo, Blackfriars, parts of Bermondsey etc.

Anyone rate The Nelson by any chance?

lol, I think the question was relating to the Angel pub at Kings Stairs rather than the Angel Islington! The former is on the SE1/SE16 border, not sure which side it falls into though.

The Nelson is indeed a nice little boozer, doesn't look anything special from the outside but has a pleasant atmosphere and a good selection of street art on the walls.
Sunday 28 September 2008 9.22am
The Angel pub is well inside SE16.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pen
Sunday 28 September 2008 9.49am
I too love the Rake but I would have to say the Woolpack for drinking and The Kings Arms for Food and their Monday night Quiz.
Sunday 28 September 2008 10.03am
Lord Clyde for lower middle class boozing. Royal Arms for upper lower middle class boozing. Despite the tremendous selection of (blue-blood priced) beers, The Rake always feels to me like a shipping container with adjoining decking. It's a bar, isn't it, really.
Sunday 28 September 2008 2.44pm
Should have realised the poster was talking about a pub and not the Angel Islington, what a div!!

Like the way pubs are referred to as "middle class" and "upper lower middle class" by the previous poster, priceless.
Sunday 28 September 2008 6.11pm
The Royal Oak, though I had to think about it for a while, discounting various other local faves.
Monday 29 September 2008 6.45am
I'm intrigued how you define lower/upper lower middle class. Having drunk in both the Lord Clyde and Royal Arms I'm a tad confused as to which group I belong.

I always think of the Clyde being the place where cabbies go for a swift pint (after work of course).
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 3 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions