London SE1 community website

If you were only allowed to drink in 1 pub in SE1, which would it be?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6
Wednesday 8 October 2008 3.31pm
Sam Smiths, imho, have a good range across the board. Nothing wrong with their spirits (on the basis of a trial several years ago, though, so this may well have changed).

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 10 October 2008 2.04pm
JRob wrote:
Tom Pepper wrote:
JRob, you may be a high class boozer but you do not appear very discerning if you enjoy The Angel.

Certainly not. I'll allow any kind of swill to go sloshing down the ol' boozehole. But I'm very picky about the environs when I do it.

Really though, I've only had beer there and like the Samuel Smith beers just fine so I wouldn't have any idea what their selection of spirits is like. I've found British bars and pubs don't tend to mix such great cocktails so I just stick to beer and if I want cocktails I can make them myself at home. Absolut? Bleah! I'm a Grey Goose girl.
I retract my assertion re your not being discerning. Grey Goose is indeed an excellent vodka, unfortunately not readily available in most locals though.
You certainly got that right about British pubs/bars and their lack of expertise re cocktail mixing.
Tuesday 21 October 2008 3.33pm
Clearly I can't vote for The Old School Yard - but thanks to those who voted for us. We do serve Grey Goose though :)

Being objective - I do like The Brittania for Whisky - always feels warm in there too.

Otherwise I do like drinking in The Hide - especially late at night after I finish work.

Cheers D
Tuesday 21 October 2008 4.36pm
You know, there's just something terribly wrong about the premise for this thread. Why not ask, "If you could only keep one of your arms, which would it be?" It's just too nightmarish a concept for this otherwise pleasant forum.

Or was this in anticipation of Halloween, a little mood-setting perhaps?
Tuesday 21 October 2008 5.13pm
If there's one pub that you've been to, and would never go back to again - were is it, and why was it so horrific?

That's a far better question.
gives people a list of places to avoid, and reasons why
Tuesday 21 October 2008 5.30pm
JonR wrote:
If there's one pub that you've been to, and would never go back to again - were is it, and why was it so horrific?
That's a far better question.
gives people a list of places to avoid, and reasons why

Sorry don't agree - that's just an excuse to moan about something - how about some positivity? Also lots of venues get bad reviews when someone goes in on a "bad day". Not really fair. Although i did find the one arm thing funny.
Perhaps a Top 5? Or as one person did - their fave for different purposes.
Tuesday 21 October 2008 7.03pm
I have to agree with the OSY. No-one buys books called 1,001 Places You Must Avoid Before You Die.
Tuesday 21 October 2008 7.14pm
I think the list of places to avoid should (or at least could) be a separate thread.
Tuesday 21 October 2008 9.29pm
And maybe it should have a humorus side to it instead of a down and dirty side ,lol

DJM
Tuesday 21 October 2008 11.17pm
OK slightly funny then

There is a place in China Town called Wong Kee's which apparently won the award for the ruddest staff in the UK.

That actually attracted me in there -but I found it was just like a normal chinese restaurant in Hong Kong - couldn't really take much offence - so sometimes bad news can bring you a crowd.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Current: 5 of 6

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions