London SE1 community website

Sunday Roasts SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4
Sunday 12 October 2008 10.08pm
I decided to try The Roebuck for a Sunday Roast after reading some of the postings. It is a pleasant pub with a good mixed crowd. I had the roast pork and crackling. It was a good plateful with plenty of various vegetables and of course, the roast potatoes. The roast pork was cooked well and was really good, however I would have liked a bit more pork, even if it meant trading off some of the vegetables, but I was pleasantly full at the end of it. Good value at 8.50.
They also have really interesting beer. I like my real ales and am not sure if I have ever come across the Purity Brewing Company before. I may have done previously at one of the beer festivals I occasionally frequent, but cannot remember, which say's it all really. I had a pint of Gold which is one of the light beers that I don't usually go for. This one really hit the mark and was really good, and I could have easily drunk another pint or two, except that I also wanted to try the other Purity beer called UBU. Again another first rate beer and very good. All in all a very pleasant Sunday lunch, will definitely return.
jw
Monday 13 October 2008 10.55pm
Gosh that is a surprisingly good review
Tuesday 14 October 2008 1.17pm
jw wrote:

Did you not think that Hydrometer was sufficiently literate to write one or do you not rate the Roebuck? I'm intrigued...
Tuesday 14 October 2008 1.34pm
Finding ourselves at what can only be described as "a loose end", my chum and I made it the the Royal Oak just in time (4.30pm) for a splendid lunch. Even more impressive was the range of Cider on offer, including Thatcher's. Unmatched anywhere round here.
Tuesday 14 October 2008 1.44pm
we'vew had quite a few good dinners at The Roebuck and a coupel of bad ones

taking as a psuedoscientific study based only on hazy memory, it seems the busier they are the more they try to spread the roasts more thinly

its also definitely not somewhere to head if you are going for a late lunch but i guess its for the same reason
Tuesday 14 October 2008 3.52pm
JayBee wrote:
Finding ourselves at what can only be described as "a loose end", my chum and I made it the the Royal Oak just in time (4.30pm) for a splendid lunch. Even more impressive was the range of Cider on offer, including Thatcher's. Unmatched anywhere round here.

JayBee - are you SURE you don't want to make SE1 cider with us on the 25th/26th?

It's a lot of fun, and with very little effort, you should end up with something far superior to Thatchers (no offence to Thatchers, which is imho one of the better commercial draught ciders, and which I happily drink when in the Oak).

...if you press it, they will come.
jw
Wednesday 15 October 2008 10.46am
The Mapmaker wrote:
jw wrote:

Did you not think that Hydrometer was sufficiently literate to write one or do you not rate the Roebuck? I'm intrigued...

No no, not a slur on Hydrometer's literacy ability at all!!!! Just I used to live near the Roebuck and ate there quite a few times. It was ok (if they hadn't run out of roast, which happened very early, and they were still serving decent size portions, which didn't happen all the time).

But not sure I would have rated it as much as Hydrometer did so maybe I should give it another try (it's been a year - although did turn up at 4pm the other week and there were no roasts left again!!)
Friday 17 October 2008 4.19pm
Just noticed this on Time Out website

http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/features/169/1.html

Has anyone been to Culture at Tate Modern & do they do a good roast?
jw
Monday 20 October 2008 10.38pm
I saw that article but nothing listed for SE1
Tuesday 21 October 2008 11.15am
jw wrote:
I saw that article but nothing listed for SE1

Tate Modern is in SE1
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 3 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions