London SE1 community website

Sunday Roasts SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4
Tuesday 21 October 2008 11.30am
The restaurant at Tate Modern isn't called Culture (I think it's just called the restaurant on the 7th floor). Good food (mainly English), great views, it can be pricy (check out the menu on the Tate website), and not somewhere I'd think of to go for a roast (but only because the other food there is so nice that I'd not think of going for a roast).

Hope some of that made sense/was useful

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 21 October 2008 11.39am
Ivanhoe wrote:
The restaurant at Tate Modern isn't called Culture (I think it's just called the restaurant on the 7th floor). Good food (mainly English), great views, it can be pricy (check out the menu on the Tate website), and not somewhere I'd think of to go for a roast (but only because the other food there is so nice that I'd not think of going for a roast).
Hope some of that made sense/was useful

Ok Ivanhoe Im a bit thick this morning. Looking again at Time Out I can see that Level 7 restaurant isnt called Culture. Must pay more attention.
Tuesday 21 October 2008 3.18pm
Just wanted to say that I had Sunday Lunch at the Roebuck and The Royal Oak. Thought the Roebuck was good value and The Royal Oak was good. It was a bit quiet when I was there though which meant that all the staff were trained on my table.

At the moment I just like going for Brunch at Bermondsey Kitchen and also think the Woolpack was really good value.

Will try Fuzzy's - thanks for the recommendation
Wednesday 29 October 2008 11.25am
How about villiage east? I see they are having a special offer of 2 courses for 14.50 on a sunday, has anybody been recently? I've never had a decent roast in SE1 yet!
Tuesday 25 November 2008 6.14pm
Having previously been in The Royal Oak only for drinks, I finally made it there to try out their Sunday Roast.
We arrived about 3pm and already most of the tables were taken and many were already eating. Anyway I had the roast lamb and my wife had the roast chicken.
The place mats and cutlery were placed in front of us, and then the lunch was politely placed on the mat.
We both looked wide eyed as the plates were full of meat and roast potatoes, then the vegetables were brought, served in a separate dish. Four vegetables: carrots, suede, green beans and cabbage. All well cooked and well displayed.
We ate as much as we could, I even had to help out with some of my wife's chicken, but we still had to leave some of the potatoes, and I can eat a lot.
I also like to cram down about 4 pints with my lunch, but was so stuffed I could only manage 2 pints of excellent Harvey's Best Bitter.
I would go as far as to say this was one of the best Pub Sunday Roasts I have had, and will definitely return.
One teens-weensy point, I found the mint sauce lacking in mint, it was a bit watery for my liking, but perhaps they had, had a run on it.
Excellent all in all.
jw
Wednesday 26 November 2008 9.08pm
wow sounds great - how much was it?
Wednesday 26 November 2008 10.38pm
Hi JW
If I remember correctly I think they were 8.95 each, however they also do other roasts. From memory I think it was duck at about 10, but also Grouse and I think Partridge but I think they were about 15.
Actually, I don't think the regulars will be too happy with me for broadcasting this place.
jw
Thursday 27 November 2008 10.05pm
I won't tell anyone :)
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4
Current: 4 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions