London SE1 community website

Tower Bridge Road's former tree

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4
Friday 6 March 2009 3.53pm
Laphroaig and aoibhneas: Thank you both for a real LOL :p

One can but chuckle at the inadequacy and ineptness of the response [like so many] - otherwise one might go mad with a blunt instrument, outside City Hall and Southwark's HQ.
Friday 6 March 2009 11.00pm
Heh! If only ...
Friday 6 March 2009 11.04pm
Oops, sorry, I didn't see Philpotts24's post! I was referring to the "kisses" in the post above.

Yes, it's not exactly the response I would have liked! I just can't believe they've left this giant hole in the sidewalk and blocked off most of it for all these months. And I really can't believe the hotel hasn't done something about it.
Friday 6 March 2009 11.31pm
It is truly pathetic how the red-tape and poor communications, between the relevant agencies responsible at different stages, conspire to make life so complicated! [Breath]

Now, where's that stick......
Saturday 13 June 2009 6.35pm
Update: On 15 April, I emailed this:

Quote:
Hello,

It has now been nine weeks since I emailed you about this, and six weeks since you sent me this reply, and nothing at all has been done about this eyesore and safety issue. Will you please let me know the date by which this will be fixed? Next month it will be a year since the accident happened.

Only eight weeks later (hey, they're improving!), I have received another communication:

Quote:
Thank you for your email dated 15 April 2009, concerning the replacement tree on Tower bridge Road. Please accept my apologies for the delay in replying.

When a tree is removed because it has died or is diseased/dangerous, it is usual practise for the tree stump to be left in order to remove any potential trip hazard which may arise if the stump was kept low or removed.

This practise also insures that the tree ‘pit' is reserved and does not get covered with tarmac or paved over.

In this case, the tree the bus impact caused removal of the entire stump, causing pit to be fenced off.

We have asked our contractors to fill the hole, and this will be completed within the next few weeks. The fencing can then be removed. A replacement tree will be planted in October, which is the best time for new trees to be planted.

Thank you for your continued interest, and I hope this action will resolve your concerns. If I can be of any further assistance, please let me know.

Yours sincerely

Senior Customer Service Advisor - London Streets
Transport for London
Surface Transport Communications

Not sure what the relevance of the second and third paragraphs is, but has anybody been by lately (maybe on the way to Fine Life Foods)?
Saturday 13 June 2009 10.17pm
Funny you should say that ... I'm going to have to look more carefully but last time I was past I think I noticed that the hole had gone. But then your email said it'd be done in "the next few weeks" and for contractors to get that far ahead of their schedule sounds a bit unlikely. Anyway, I'm now hooked on Fine Life's organic rice crackers so there's a fairly good chance I'll be past any minute now and this time I'll concentrate on more than just my stomach.

Good to know that if and when the hole is filled in it'll be pending another tree planting.
Sunday 14 June 2009 8.27am
Jobsworth wrote:
We have asked our contractors to fill the hole, and this will be completed within the next few weeks.

A few weeks?

Five of them turn up, and goto the caff for brekie. Then they stare at the hole and decide to goto the caff to talk about how to tackle the problem. Then return to the hole a strategically place exactly 1/2 a shovel full of dirt - then goto the caff for a well earned rest.
Monday 15 June 2009 11.55am
I go past everyday on the 78 bus to work, and usually I'm reading and don't notice, but I'm fairly sure that the hole is still there, with fencing round it.

If the best time to plant trees is in October, then why wasn't one planted last October?! and why have so many been planted recently, in Boris's "10,000 trees for London" (or whatever it was) campaign, which saw new trees planted along Rolls Road.

it's just another example of the problems that occur when the main roads across all 33 London boroughs are the responsibility of one organisation, managed in several regions, by different companies, and the work is done by contractors. All completely separate from the boroughs themselves.
Monday 15 June 2009 9.11pm
I went past yesterday and as far as I could see the hole has been filled in but not paved over, and marked with a number of traffic cones. Pretty much in accordance with the first step indicated in the email from tfl then, and sooner than they'd estimated. So much, in this instance, for Boss Street Bloke's stereotypical dismissal of contractors... which seems fairly offensive to me.
Tuesday 16 June 2009 1.32am
A tree is just a tree .

No clue as to why they destroyed the poor thing for just being there which is all trees can do.

By definition.

Just had a a missive from Southwark about building up the pavements on Abbey St for the the busses (never seen built up pavements for buses before, won't people fall off them) and cutting back the the poor trees, who bother no one and can't exactly pick up their roots and walk.

It's like "lets track down the few remaining trees round here and kill them".
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 2 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..
Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

We are part of
Independent Community News Network
Email newsletter

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,000+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum
Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions